Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Leadership Kickoff Discussion

Hi Everyone :)

Thank you to all of you who came out these past two days - we really hope that you enjoyed the ASB kickoff events. We've actually never run the kickoffs in this specific manner before and would love to hear your feedback and suggestions :) Even if you weren't present for all of these activities, please share whatever thoughts you might have on questions that you can answer.

Please respond to the following questions by next Thursday evening (6/16):

1) Monday's Leadership Kickoff in Room 506

- What was your favorite activity? Why?

- What was your least favorite activity? Why?

2) Tuesday's District-Wide Conference

- We talked at length about what seemed to be some shared goals for all of us who were present (increasing student participation, producing more effective publicity, creating a stronger sense of lynbrook community, and creating events that students genuinely enjoy and/or that relieve stress). What are some specific actions we can take to achieve each of these goals?

- What's one thing you learned from another school that you think we should bring to Lynbrook?

3) Tuesday's Kayaking BBQ Social 

- Keeping in mind the price, would you recommend the kayaking social to next year's leadership team? Why or why not?

- Is there anything you would have wished was different about the kayaking BBQ social?

And of course, if you have any other thoughts about any of the above events that weren't addressed with the questions, please share them! We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Best,
~Will, on behalf of the ASB Officer team


19 comments:

  1. 1a. I personally really liked the rat game in the really beginning, not just because of the game it was really fun and exciting (yes I actually thought it was very exciting) but it was a good way for me to gauge how high energy and competitive we as a group were- I have to say it got me very pumped and excited for the rest of the social

    1b. I did not like the discussion with the alumni because none of our alumni came :( its ok though because Ethan Kathryn and I ended up starting like 1 round of truth pong and going to the ASB den to crash the class officers discussion

    2a) We can reach our goals by putting in genuine effort to do things- like the only time anything every happens is if people genuinely believe in the event and believe that it's worth the effort to pursue this event and care about all the little things like attendance and timeliness- that's when events become successful- through people taking what we learned and doing the right thing like being on time consistently and taking ownership in what we're doing.

    2b. We need a hype leadership class holy duck homestead

    3a. YES I absolutely loved it because it was not only fun from taking us out of a traditional classroom setting but it was something so unique to us- this is the first I've heard any club or group from our school or any school do this event

    3b. I wish there were more burger patties they were really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1a) I liked meeting up with commissions and discussing future plans because it was the most relevant activity in getting started for the next year, and getting on the same page.

    1b) My least favorite activities were probably the ones outside because it was extremely hot and tiring.

    2a) In order to create change outside of the classroom, we need to initiate change inside the ASB room. Some ways of improvement would be to create volunteer hours or mandating participation in spirit days. I agree with Nick that we need to put in a genuine effort in all the activities that we put on. Working off of that, we need to value quality over quantity and take out events if we have to, if we don't feel 100% confident or passionate about making it the best that we can be. Lots of times, we do things that we are partially comfortable with, and eventually lose motivation and sight of our goals, which is a possible explanation for why some events didn't gain the publicity and recognition by ASB that it really deserved. We need to make sure we are fully on board with our plans, or decide to not do them. Don't spread ourselves too thin!

    2b) I learned that one of the schools (Cupertino, I think) plays music during brunch very often to help the students, and actually played High School Musical music on the first day of school. Those little actions to create a fun atmosphere is something that would be nice for the students.

    3a) I would not recommend that we do a kayaking social. I think that picnic would have had the same impact as a kayaking social, and in general I was really tired and found more benefits in resting and talking to people before and after the activity, and in the other two meetings, rather than during our actual kayaking. That was painful LOL.

    3b) I wish there were more patches of grass that didn't have geese poop everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

  3. 1) Monday's Leadership Kickoff in Room 506

    My favorite activity was the ASBO officer trivia game on Slack. Although I didn't participate, it was extremely enjoyable watching the 2017 and 2020 teams getting extremely competitive over the points, and not to mention the great team names.

    Personally I enjoyed all the activities I was apart of (I was not present for the activities outdoors due to food pick-up) but if I had to pick the most lackluster, I'd say it was the embarrassing facts just because it was difficult to guess facts without knowing each other really well.

    2) Tuesday's District-Wide Conference

    I think all of these goals tie hand in hand together, but it first starts off with creating events that students genuinely enjoy and alleviate stress, then with more participation, there will be more involvement and growth within our community. I think one thing I enjoyed about Release Week was how hands-on it was, how every student was involved and wanted to participate, rather than the leaders just handing things out or posters. I think this really goes with reducing the events, and ensuring that each event we put out follows these goals of reducing stress, and are planned effectively and thoroughly. As for a direct action we can take for increasing student involvement and publicity, I think it’d be great to directly involve students with public relations, for example I know that promotional profile pics with peoples actual faces in them are very effective, and we can ask students all over campus to help promote, not just the ASB class :)

    I really want to bring more spirit apparel to Lynbrook - Homestead really blew me away. Sure, we have thundersticks and facepaint but I think we can do so much more to show spirit within our classes rather than just class t-shirts. I think this will involve more of class officers initiating these things for their classes but it’ll help our class be more spirited as a school and add much more to our rallies :)

    3) Tuesday's Kayaking BBQ Social

    I really enjoyed the kayaking social, I think it was nice to get outside of the classroom and just have fun together, as well as get to know new people. It was definitely worth its price, and it helped us work together, especially when we don’t know each other that will yet. It was a great start to this upcoming school year.

    I think the Kayaking social went well overall, I think it flowed pretty well and we ended perfectly on time. Can’t think of any major improvements/changes.

    I really enjoyed these past two days, and I can’t wait to get to know the ASB class better throughout this year. Super pumped!! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1a) My favorite activity was the "blindfolded" ball throwing tag game. It was my favorite because it showed me the importance of communication and a game plan.

    1b) My least favorite activity was the photo scavenger hunt because I am very out of shape with very weak stamina so all the running made me very tiredi.

    2a) I think in order to achieve our goals we need to communicate with other schools and see how similar issues are dealt with. Perhaps they have some insight that we have not looked at or tried.

    2b) I learned about a spirit day that happened at Monta Vista which was called Bring Your Own Banana day (BYOB for short). The ASB class told students to bring a banana to school without given a reason. Then the students were surprised with a banana sundae with the bananas that they had brought. I think this is a good idea because this brings a reason for the students who participated in the spirit day. The students were given a surprise incentive (a sundae) which might impact the participation with spirit days in the future.

    3a) I would not recommend doing the kayaking activity again but maybe another outside activity. There wasn't that many times that we could bond because we became separate teams of two.

    3b) I think the kayaking+barbecue social was a good idea and I wouldn't have done anything differently because teenagers are always very hungry and active so it was a good combination.

    p.s. sorry for the delete, I couldn't find the edit button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1 a) My favorite activity was the quiz on kahoot. It was really interesting to get to know more about the ASBOs and it was hilarious in general + kahoot is always a good idea.

    b) I do not think I had a single activity which I did not enjoy. I loved the variety of activities especially the scavenger hunt coz it made me exercise which I really need lol + we won so ;)

    2 a) In order to have more effective publicity, I think we should get more creative and go past the traditional methods. Facebook spamming is really easy/ doesn't take much effort and that is why it isn't super effective. If we can put in more effort and do innovative promotion then I am sure we would have more effect.

    b) I was really amused by Monta Vista's cheer/chant and Homestead's unity. Lynbrook can definitely step up the game. I BELIEVE IN US <3

    3 a) I would definitely recommend a social similar to kayaking. Any sport/game outside of school to bring us closer. I wouldn't say kayaking specifically again because it will just get repetitive especially for the recurring people and it is just cool to try different things.

    b) The barbecue social was a good idea. I feel like food ALWAYS (I don't know how) brings people closer. Especially because all of us were tired, so we were grateful to have food.

    Overall, I LOVED LOVED LOVED both the days. I don't remember doing anything like this last year so I just wanted to say that y'all did a fantastic job planning this out and making these two days just wonderful. You guys are amazing and I can't wait to see what is in store for all of us next year <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1a) My favorite activity was the tank activity that we played on Stober Field. It really required teamwork and trust in our partners. It also allows us to understand the true value of communication. It would be very difficult to lead a world where communication wasn't a thing. I also liked it because it was another good "bonding" time with my fellow ASB students. Along with the tank activity, I also really liked the photo scavenger hunt game because it's almost like the one I've seen on the korean show, Running Man! I've always wanted to play a game like this and I'm realy happy that I got the chance to play it!

    1b) Aside from the meeting a bit too long, I didn't find anything that I didn't like.

    2a) We've talked a lot about how class competition being the driving force behind students here at Lynbrook high (especially during homecoming) along with how students don't feel motivated to participate in repetitive activites. We can perhaps focus future events around the whole idea of class competition. Participation in the spirit days during spirit week can be rewarded in the form of points for the rally and getting staff participation would be another plus.

    2b) I didn't get the chance to fully understand what other schools did for their spirit weeks, but I feel that we should change our spirit week activities as the activities at Lynbrook are pretty much the same throughout the years. We should take a look at other school's activities to see what is working and then base our activities around those.

    3) tfti

    I had a great time at the events I've attended and I hope we can perform well as a team next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1a. My favorite activity was the hawk and chicks game. Even though the activity became pretty chaotic towards the end, I think it was a great way for everyone to let loose. It also showed the importance of multitasking, which can be very applicable to the class next year.

    1b. My least favorite activity was probably the photo scavenger hunt. I felt like there should have been a rule where everyone on each team had to stick together. Although the teams would take longer to complete the tasks, they would be able to socialize with their teammates.

    2a. I don’t know if this is even possible but if teachers, specifically ap teachers, could extra credit opportunities for their students if they attend these event then there would be an increase in participation. At the heart of it, even if the workload decreased in certain classes there still wouldn’t be an increase in participation, because everyone would rather stay at home watching Netflix or being productive with their lives. If we created this incentive for the students to come out to events (and offered this opportunity towards the end of the semester) we would see an increase in student participation. I think the most effective publicity would be in your face/interactive promotion. This could include but not limited to: balloons to promote a rally, garland hung on the entrance gates to promote a dance, 3D decorations in the planter boxes to promote talks, chalk/flour on the floor to promote games, just to name a few. Creating a stronger sense of lynbrook community would mean displaying a stronger sense of unity as a school. I touch upon this in the question below. When we consider what event we would like to take on next year, we should consider what the student body is deprived of. I propose a day where we dedicate one class just for napping/resting (majority of Lynbrook students are sleep deprived, which is decreasing their level of productivity, pretty much in every class there is at least one person sleeping). I can elaborate on this idea more if anyone is interested.

    2b. Based on what Homestead was wearing, they seem to have an overarching school color, green. I propose that we pick a dominating school color, blue (because of vikepounds), and have all of our school’s apparel be that one color. Although Lynbrook’s colors are red, white, and blue, there is a sense of unity and cohesiveness if everyone is wearing the same/similar color. This would also help identify ourselves at district events.

    3a. I would not recommend the kayaking social, because for most part we can only converse with our partners. It would have been more fun to bond with everyone!

    3b. I think there should be a laser tag social next year which is a little more pricy (I think like 18 dollars?) but this way everyone can split up and meet with other people. The social would also promote teamwork and show each other’s competitive sides.

    ps pls don't judge me for my name i made this in middle school and I thought it looked cool.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1a) My favorite activity would have to be the tank activity that we played on Stober field. I had loads of fun on that game, and I really thought it helped me with my non verbal communication. It also showed me how difficult it would be to go through with a plan without strong communication. I also thought this was an amazing time to bond with my fellow peers, and really just see how open and lively this class is! I'm happy to say that it was an amazing experience, and I hope the ASBO's do a whole day of bonding like this again next year.

    1b) I thought all the games were very enjoyable, and there wasn't anything I thought was bad. Everything was well set up and well thought out.

    2a) Some specific things that we had talked about were more class spirit. For more class spirit, we should definitely have more games in rallies with larger groups of people so that we can incorporate all the students, not just the very ecstatic ones in the front. This is definitely something we should capitalize on this year, because whether it be rallies, socials, or any outside events, class spirit could definitely raise participation. More class participation will also allow the students to break down more walls, and really get to know each other at school.

    2b) One thing that I learned from other schools, especially Homestead, was that spirit was the key to creating a strong class, and a strong school. Every one of them would cheer for each other, and they were by far the loudest and most energetic. We should definitely bring more spirit to our school, and maybe use activities from other schools to increase participation.

    3a) I would definitely recommend the barbecue social to next years class. It was an awesome experience, and it really let me learn my fellow peers a lot better. It was a time where we got to just relax and have fun, as well as evaluate our time at the CADA conference.

    There was nothing I found that could really be improved on for the kayaking social. Overall, these past few days have been amazing ones, and I can't wait to be in this class next year!



    ReplyDelete
  10. 1a) My favorite activity from the two hours I attended (LOL still had school) I loved the Kahoot game and meeting with my commission as well as other people in the ASB class. The Kahoot game gave me a chance to learn about a lot of weird things about each of the officers - I still can’t believe Will flooded the boys’ locker room! :) Meeting with my commission helped me catch up with what we were planning to do in the year, and gave me advice as an incoming freshman.

    1b) I enjoyed all of the activities we did - I’m glad we had this kickoff party!

    3a) Yes!!! It was a fun way for me to get out and do some outdoor activity for a change. It was fun getting to know everyone while learning how to kayak and having great food! For me personally, it was a great way to socialize with high schoolers and get that ASB feel. Also, it was really hot that day, so kayaking was perfect to cool off.

    3b) I think everything went smoothly, and there weren’t any flaws (except the goose poop)

    I had so much fun hanging out with you guys these past few days! Can’t wait till school starts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1a) My favorite activity was the Kahoot game. It was an entertaining way for me to learn about the ASBOs.

    1b) I didn't have a "least favorite activity"- I liked all of them :)
    2a) To increase student participation, we should definitely start to promote in school(whether it be posters, face to face interaction, etc) and not just on Facebook/social media. For maybe something such as spirit week, we could get creative and come up with some fun activities to do during brunch/lunch that directly relates to the spirit day. We as ASB should set an example first and if we are hyped about the events we plan, then students will eventually be just as hyped!

    2b) From Homestead, I learned that they were really supportive of each other and are super energetic. We could definitely work on our spirit, energy, and being more supportive of one another.

    3a) Yes! It was definitely a creative way for us to do some more outdoor activities. It was also a good way to practice figuring how to accomplish something without any given instructions (because I had no idea how to kayak oops).

    3b) There wasn't anything I would change about the kayaking social.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1a) My favorite activity was the blindfold ball game. It taught me that communication and team work is a necessity when working with peers!

    1b) I honestly enjoyed all activities because they each had a lesson to teach that would be useful in the future :)

    2a) All goals are very important but specifically, for producing publicity, the idea of publicizing events at rallies should be very effective because most of the population of the school is at the rallies. In general for the goals, whether it is student participation, publicity, or lynbrook community feeling, everything needs to be given HYPE because then only will the student population have that desire to enjoy the atmosphere wherever they are at Lynbrook.

    2b) Homestead amazed everyone with their unity in their leadership team. With such a unified, strong leadership team they must have successful events at schools and it would be great to bring such a quality to Lynbrook.

    3a) I'm not aware of the price, but if it was within the budget, then the kayaking social is a great idea because it isn't everyday we get to spend a day outside having an adventure with your friends in the leadership team. It was a nice atmosphere to be in!

    3b) If others want, in the future we could plan for a different adventure other than kayaking. And I agree with Nick about having more patties for the burgers because those were delicious. Thanks to Mrs. Badger and Ms. Goldstein!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1a) My favorite activity was the ASBO Jeopardy activity because it taught us that everyone does things a little differently, and showed that being unique is what helps us stand out from our sea of peers.

    2a) My least favorite activity was the school search. Running around outside was very tiring and hot, and we also broke apart from our group in attempts of getting everything done faster.

    2a) I think we should give incentives for participating in spirit days, but as a surprise. If we give surprise rewards for participation, people will be encouraged to participate, in hopes of a surprise award again.

    2b) We need to have more leadership bondings, because the student body learns from example, and if all the leaders are all together on enthusiasm, people will think it's cool to join in, and will follow by example.

    3a) I thought the kayaking social was a good idea because it allowed us to open up to and meet new people. The price was manageable and definitely worth the experience.

    3b) I would change the first hour of the BBQ kayaking social. We played Mafia but since it wasn't a very interactive game if you are a civilian, it got kind of boring. Other than that, I had lots of fun that day, and met a lot of people!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1a. My favorite activity at this meeting was the tank game we played together, as it was shown to be an effective method of getting people to communicate with each other in different aspects, such as the normal verbal communication and non-verbal as presented through gestures,motions, and our sense of touch.

    1b.My least favorite activity was the alumni q&a session because our alumni did not show up, however, we did get the chance to phone her to ask her a couple of questions, and we got some interesting responses.

    2a. In order to achieve some of the goals that we discussed at the conference, I believe that the actions that we must take are as presented. In order to increase student participation, we must, in a careful manner, make the more shy kids step out of their bubble and comfort zone to participate, as they will gradually gain interest in school spirit. Also, introverts and extroverts must unite to get rid of exclusions during activities. As for improved publicity, I think that it really depends on how well the event is promoted;thus, I believe that Lynbrook events can be improved upon if promotion starts a tad earlier to inform more people as the dispersion of social media participation is low during test weeks. If one gets more time to check upon Facebook, the more well known the plan will be.

    3a. I would definitely recommend this kayaking social to next year's leadership team because it helps you understand and learn more about each member of your team. It's also a fun bonding activity that gets people talking! It is definitely a great event that every class should be able experience and cherish.

    The two days we spent together went by so fast, since I had no time to think about going home; it was too fun! :) Hope we all work well together next year, and I can't wait for next year!


    ReplyDelete
  15. 1a) The tank game was really fun! It required the “tank” to have a lot of trust in their partner, which is usually hard when you’re paired with a complete stranger, so the game helped everyone become more comfortable with each other and realize that we were in a safe environment.

    1b) The scavenger hunt wasn’t particularly fun. My team was not very competitive, so we just walked around campus for 20 minutes under the burning sun.

    2b) At the district-wide conference, Homestead impressed everyone with their school spirit and energy. They showed that lots of enthusiasm is always welcome and makes things more fun for everyone. Lynbrook students can definitely step up their school spirit!

    3a) I would definitely recommend the kayaking social. It was a great way to relax and get more comfortable with one another, and the price was affordable for everyone.

    3b) The kayaking relay game we attempted to play in the beginning was confusing and difficult, and no one really stuck to the rules anyway.

    The two-day experience was overall really great, and we should definitely continue them in the following years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1a) My favorite activity was the ASB officer jeopardy like game. I found it hilarious and a super fun way to get to know our officers. It was also a great way for us to get to know our peers and to work together.
    1b) My least favorite was the scavenger hunt, it wasn't super fun, it wasn't a great idea for an activity.

    2a) Taking action to work towards are goal could be done by getting to know our student body better. We bring the shy kids out of their shell, we can start experimenting different ways to get people excited about upcoming events. We start encouraging staff to participate to make it more exciting!
    2b) One thing I saw that stood out was the amount of spirit participation Homestead had. I think we could bring that everywhere we go, and encourage others to be super school spirited when they go to the other school's sports games, such as quad games.

    3a) I think keeping the kayaking social is great! I loved this experience and it was a great way to get competitive with each other and meet another person. it was also fun to see everyone struggle together, and it showed we could work as a team since no one judged.
    3b) Maybe teaching us how to kayak, for those who have never kayaked before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. First off, I apologize for the late post.
    1. Monday's Leadership Kickoff in Room 506
    My favorite activity was the photo scavenger hunt. Although I dislike running, I've loved scavenger hunts since I was little. The randomness of the photos was truly great. I remember reading things off of the list with a "wow how did they think of that" face, but being super excited to get it done. The game showed the importance of planning ahead of time and delegating.

    Although I did not have a least favorite activity, I do think that we played the tank game a few times more than necessary.

    2. Tuesday's District-Wide Conference
    The first step to improve participation in terms of spirit weeks would be to change the spirits days to relate back to the rally theme. Participation among the ASB class may also help to encourage others to participate.

    Unfortunately, I did not talk to many people from other schools about events that their school holds, but I definitely think we need to come up with some kind of chant, dance, or clapping routine.

    3.Tuesday's Kayaking BBQ Social
    The kayaking social was great and I would definitely recommend it for next year's leadership team. It was a good bonding experience and quite relaxing.

    I think the game before the kayaking should have been planned out better because there seemed to be a lot of confusion about the rules of mafia. I also don't think the kayaking game worked out as planned, but overall it was a fun few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. a) My favorite activity was the ASB Officer quiz on Kahoot because it was really fun and competitive and allowed us to get to know a couple of interesting facts about the officers.

    b) My least favorite activity was the embarrassing facts guess because it was pretty hard just guessing people and I felt like the random guessing was just pointless.

    2. In my opinion, I really think that getting students involved and increasing participation will be able to eliminate a lot of the problems we have right now. By getting more students to come out, they'll be able to socialize, get away from school, release stress, etc. To do this, I feel that we have to really focus on what the majority students like and dislike, and also genuinely trying to encourage our peers to come to events.

    Something I'd like to bring to Lynbrook is the amount of spirit and hype that Homestead had.

    3. I would recommend the kayaking social to next years Leadership class because it was just a fun and good bonding activity for us to get to know each other.

    I found the kayaking social to be overall pretty good and didn't have any major complications or issues.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Comments from here on out, for this post, will not be graded.

    ReplyDelete