Hi ASB!
Tech is looking for even more feedback from the lip dub that happened recently. Things you can talk about include aspects about: promotion, rehearsals, the route, execution, directions (including signs, maps and tape around campus) and incentives!
Major props to everyone in ASB for coming out and helping with our promotion!
-Tech <3
I think LIP DUB WAS A SUCCESS FIRST TIME EVENT!!! Hats off to you guys for making this possible, despite the number of challenges you had to face. I think in general, you guys did a fantastic job trying to cover all the aspects of our school esp things that we usually forget about and I loved how you walked around campus trying to get diff locations like the art room, science wing, wrestling room, pool etc. However, some things to consider for the future is reducing the total distance. Since the track was sooooo long, at some parts it was kinda empty. I think if you make it shorter, then we can get people to concentrate on certain areas. The idea of providing incentives for students to participate clearly worked due to the amount of people that showed up (Shoutout to asb rec for being so kind and generous ;) HAHAHA) The map was super clear and helped the organizations know where to stand. I had a great time and I can't wait to see the video :)
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, props to tech on spending so much time for planning and running this lip dub!! Going over the positives, I think you guys did a great job of being organized. When you all presented to the class you knew the plan well and stuck to it. Also, great job on thinking for incentives because after the camera passed by me and I ran out to tell people to join in, people were really inclined to do it because of the gift cards. Things that could have been done better were communication and promotion. MANY people still had no idea about what a lip dub was. I know that there were Facebook posts talking about it, but many people honestly ignore that or don't bother to read carefully. For the future I think making a video about what a lip dub is, where you go, what the incentives are, hyping the event, and then making teachers show it to their homeroom classes would definitely increase knowledge and hype about it.
ReplyDeleteProps to being the first year to successfully plan and execute a lip dub :) Will go through a few different things:
ReplyDelete- The second run through was far more successful than the first in terms of number of students involved. I think that proved two things:
1) Most people are followers, and only really joined in once they saw everyone else doing it.
2) Some people likely didn't really understand what their role was / what exactly was going on for the lip dub
I think the big takeaway from that is in promoing this to the student body, it's important to both explain exactly what you want them to do (e.g. stand at these exact spots) + really focus on getting big clubs to bring out all of their members. If you can get clubs excited about it, the leaders from those clubs will get their followers in on it. I don't think the signs around school did much to tell people what they needed to do / how it was going to go down.
- For rehearsal it would have been nice to know how slow or fast I should be walking backwards / approximately where I end. The pace seemed to be slightly off during the real thing.
- Was there any particular reason why the route started in kruk's room? Maybe it would have been better off starting at the mural at the front of the school, and then going through the black gates / viking boat
- At the end we all made a semi circle on the basketball courts in the gym, but no one was really sure how the shot was going to be done - perhaps someone next year should be at the last rally point giving people instructions?
- I think the yogurtland cards were a great idea! Not sure if it was promoted beforehand, but it definitely got people interested. I would also delegate a few people next year to solely be getting stragglers / people sitting on the side to come out and be a part of the lip dub!
Thank you guys for putting in so much effort!
ReplyDeleteI honestly think that participation in spirit is a really REALLY really difficult category to try to improve at Lynbrook :\ there's a very negative mindset going around about being spirited and it's kinda perpetuated by all the people who say bad things about ASB just for the sake of criticizing. In my experience, most spirit-related events (outside of class) we've done in the past have failed, and it's partly due to the environment that ASB is working with. So I really appreciate the organization and persistence of ASB Tech in organizing this event!
I think alot of things didn't turn out as well as we hoped it would, even if it was with good intentions. For example, the free yogurtland -- it was a really nice gesture and a good idea to motivate people to come stand at the line, which was something we really needed. However, I think it backfired a lot because I'm very sure that most people who heard about the free yogurtland didn't even stand at the tape and just headed for the gym. Also, "free yogurtland" is a misleading phrase when it turned out to be a $1 coupon; because we tried to get people to attend, I think the incentive was pushed too far and as I was walking towards the gym I heard a lot of angry people about how it turned out to only be a coupon. Although it was advertised with good intentions, I don't think it reflected very well on ASB in the end :(
Another problem was that during the first runthrough, a lot of dubbers complained that the camera was moving too fast and it was; as a lip dubber, I couldn't even keep up with the camera frame, even though I was prepared. I also couldn't see where I was going because I was walking backwards and was unused to the people and props standing around the tape behind us. However, on the second run, I think Francis tried to improve by walking slower; this ended up with all the lipdubbers being shifted forward in the path (when the camera got to us, the music wasn't even playing our part; it had went way past). An improvement that should be made is fitting maybe 3 songs instead in the space that we used for two songs this time, or, as other people have mentioned, making the path smaller.
Another improvement could be to ask the people who DO stand at the tapes, instead of walking to the gym right after their parts, maybe keep running forward with the camera, and run outside of other people if they are waiting at their taped lines, and if there are no people, then run right next to the camera, so the sides are never empty. (Sorry this is a bit confusing LOL if you guys need a clearer explanation, please let me know).
(continuation)
ReplyDeletePromotion could also have been alot better; people who weren't involved in the lipdub directly only found out about it late in the week before the lip dub. Although there were profile pictures, less than half of ASB profiled. I know that we're trying to shift away from profile pictures, but I think in this case it's more about the unification of ASB with promotion. We should all be speaking well about our events and encouraging people to come, and doing promotion as well. That being said, I also do think other promotion methods should have been used as well. Maybe check the previous lists of promotion methods that have been made in the past? I think Mira made one a while back, but not sure!
Another unfortunate coincidence was the fact that Senior Ditch day happened to be on the same day as the Lip Dub, and the group that is usually the most spirited on campus (seniors) was half gone. Seniors usually participate more because the events that ASB hosts right now are their last chances to get involved in school happenings. Seniors also usually have alot more free time. Although some seniors came back only for lunch so they still participated in the lip dub, I don't think there was enough hype and therefore incentive to come back to school in the middle of the day, so most of the seniors were still absent. Also,the general feeling of the school day (from what I heard from others) was lazier than usual simply because so many people were gone, and could have contributed to lack of participation.
I think ASB tech did amazing and really set a foundation for the next one that happens. I also think Lynbrook should maybe try again sooner than four years (maybe next year?) simply because improving is hard to do when the attempts are so far apart, especially since if it's every four years, there will be pretty much no one who will actually have been a part of the lip dub in 2021.
As someone who helped tape up the signs, the ones that told the clubs where to stand, for the lip dub, I thought that the map was a little confusing to read. As a way to improve on this next year, maybe create a 2x speed video of the route, this way people can see a tentative frame of what would be caught on camera and have a better sense of awareness of where to stand. (A back story to why I bring this up, during homecoming gauntlets it is hard to tell what will and wouldn't show up on camera since we all assume that the camera will capture all of us, this could be an assumption people have of the lip dub.)
ReplyDelete- I thought the Yogurtland gift cards were a good idea, but I know a bunch of people were sad that they left without a card since they were only there for the voucher. I'm not sure if this was already taken into account, but maybe make sure that the presidents/officers of the event get a thank you gift since they had their clubs participate in the lip dub (a few presidents were annoyed that they didn't get the cards). On that note, I think there were a lot of under class men that actually wanted to participate in the lip dub. Initially, when I was handing out the coupons (I only had ten so my sample size is small) a few underclassmen had a confused/surprised look on their faces when I handed them a card. I think this might give them more of an incentive to participate in ASB events in the future.
- I agree with Adhiv, and am also curious why you chose to start off in Kruk's room. Something to consider, I'm not positive if this happened or not it went by really fast, but in the beginning of the video with the sign that said Lynbrook Lip Dub, maybe you could have whoever is starting off the video rip through the poster.
- I don't know if this is actually a problem, but when you transition from inside the classroom to outside would the camera take a little while to adjust to the lighting?
- To add on to the semi circle problem, Ahana was trying to rally them into the original formation since other people were saying form a line, people started crowding (in an organized manner) until the arch became a line. The end of video was also confusing, because no one really knew when the camera stopped filming so when their spot was over they went running to find Will for the gift cards.
I think you guys took great initiative to introduce something completely new to Lynbrook and laid a good foundation for the future years as well.
For a first time event, I thought it went extremely well. Yes it was confusing at times and yes there were some problems, but overall t was a great experience and super fun. I do have a few suggestions though.
ReplyDelete1. Make the map easier to read, looking at the map was a bit confusing at times and after going through it once, j fully understood it.
2. While someone is running through with the 1 minute till it starts, be sure another person is also with them reminding people to not get in the path way, this is how people could get hurt and cause problems.
3. More promo more hype!!
4. In classrooms be sure to clear a pathway so that people don't get injured.
Overall amazing!
I agree with all of the potential improvements that Kathryn listed on here. I would also like to mention the fact that as a lipdubber, the practices were a bit unorganized, and a lot of people didn't really know what they were supposed to be doing at certain points in time. Also, going off of Kat's idea about more promo = more hype, I think that this is especially true for unusual events, such as the lipdub. I think that the main problem this time was that people didn't really know what it was. Although yes, that post was made in all of the class's facebook groups, as a suggestion, I would say that a bit more needs to be done to increase the student body's knowledge about what this event actually entails.
DeleteBut overall, good job my dudes!! It was a huge success, and I had a lot of fun being a lipdubber. :)
I think it's great that you guys tried to do a new event this year! :)
ReplyDeletePromotion: I think that this needs a bit of work since lip dub is a new project that no one has ever heard of. I honestly had a bit of trouble understanding what the student body was supposed to do/what it was supposed to look like on the day of the lip dub. I think in the future, you guys should post a video on facebook or send out a link of another school or organization doing a lip dub so that people have a better idea of what to do.
Execution: I think that it was somewhat organized for a first time event. It's good that we had the tape on the ground because I wouldn't have known where to stand even if we did have a map (honestly I don't even recall ever seeing it on campus if we had one). I feel like we could work on getting excited for this event because if we got more excited and showed what the final product could look like, more people would be interested in being a part of it.
Incentive: If you're going to run out of yogurtland gift certificates, I don't think you guys should promote it as "everyone who comes to the gym will get a yogurtland gift certificate". Many people were asking where they could get their gift certificates and were extremely annoyed/confused about why they didn't get theirs.
I think that this was overall a pretty good first try! hopefully in the future we will be able to get a greater number of students involved.
Props to tech for a pretty decent turnout! Although there were a few complications, it definitely turned out pretty well for a first time event.
ReplyDeleteI personally thought communication seemed like the most lacking aspect of this project. A lot of my peers were just unaware of what was happening, when, where, etc. Overall, it just didn't seem like the student body seemed aware of exactly what was happening. I also thought the route was too long, and should be shortened to increase the density (longer path => more space between people). The second run through was a lot better than the first (back to Adhiv's point of followers).
Great job tech!
Hi Tech! I think you guys did a great job with the LipDub!
ReplyDeleteSome suggestions:
- maybe only allow people to be in one section(one group) of the lipdub at a time, I know this may cut out some people, however, it may address some safety concerns in terms of ppl running across campus to get to their next group
- i agree that communication was quite lacking. I personally did not feel a big presence of "lip dub is happening" on campus
- do lip dubs all have to be one-take? it might be easier and less chaotic if we could film individual sections at once. the end product might look better as well
- in the future, definitely think of incentives ahead of time, and promote them so that more of the lynbrook population knows that there is an incentive -> more will come
- it would be really awesome if teachers could be a part of the lip dub!
Promotion
ReplyDelete- I think the promotion is pretty good, except that the post you post on facebook tend to be wordy and I think a lot of people just ignores it.
- I think the incentive could be presented earlier, but like you mentioned today during class, time management.
During event:
- I propose having shirts that are cheap and has "I participated in Lynbrook Lip Dub" or "Lynbrook Lip Dub" on it and allow people to buy it who wants to just participate or have it as incentives.
- I think the second run through is significantly slower, or was the first run through significantly faster?
Lastly, I think ASB should be part of the large rehearsal beforehand, because I think many of us were confused.
Overall, I think it is AMAZING that you actually got it going!!! GREAT JOB!!
No matter what people say, it takes dedication and work to pull it off!!!! I definitely saw it in Tech!!!
First of all, props to Tech for holding such a successful Lip Dub given that this was the first one ever at Lynbrook!! In my own opinion, promotion was good in terms of getting the message to the student body, but I think one thing that definitely needs improvement is the communication. Although an example of what a lip dub was released, the posts were a little wordy and I don't think too many people actually spent the time reading the post and watching the video. I think this was mentioned in class, but the course of the Lip Dub was too long and if it was condensed even a little bit, it would seem much more populated. Maybe offer some sort of incentive for the clubs so that they're more inclined to participate. Other than that, great job to Tech!!
ReplyDeleteBeing that I was at the lip dub for my club, I saw that it was mostly empty along the lines. I think the promotion was decent, since you guys promoted it so much- but there weren't enough incentives for people to come out.
ReplyDeleteThere might be an issue with people running around campus, so maybe for admin's sake set a guideline on who can be where when.
I guess the big thing is to communicate incentives accurately and clearly so more people come out to the next job.
Overall, stellar job guys :)
Like everyone has mentioned, huge props to you guys for putting so much work into this- I'm really hyped to see the final video :)
ReplyDeleteI thought it would have been better if there wasn't a second run through/ if it was communicated better that were would be one. A lot of people left after the first run through since they thought it was done, which was sad to see :(
The promotion was great!! It seemed like everyone that I talked to knew that it was happening.