The design to our current mock up of our crew socks can be found below. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the design more spirit related? Perhaps changing the color to navy or adding "Lynbrook" would make it more clear.
Also, we're thinking about passing on this project to Spirit next year. They're planning on selling spirit apparel next year, and our project visions align really well. What are your thoughts on letting Spirit pursue this project in the following school year?
Thanks,
Chelsea, Pranav, and Nick
Hello Friends!!!
ReplyDeleteI think that this is such a cool initiative and that we are really lacking school apparel. I think that the crew socks are a great way to show our school spirit, but in order to do so, it really needs to be apparent from the design and color that these socks are meant to show school spirit. As of right now, the black and white design does not show any indication of lhs spirit, so I would strongly suggest to incorporate other colors like red, white and navy blue. I realllllllllly think that the socks should really stand out so that it fulfills the purpose for showing hype. Another idea that I have is that since the year is coming to an end, maybe you should put off this project until next year and maybe next year ASB spirit could take on this project because it is relevant and maybe also use it as a way to fundraise for other events that they organize. It is up to you guys in the end, and I can't wait to see crazy lynbrook socks next year <3 :)
i definitely see this as an idea worth pursuing, however i agree with anushka that there needs to be some mention of lynbrook or our school colors. I also think that this might be a good product to advertise to sports, esp at seniors games where they can all sock twin
ReplyDeleteI agree with Alison on this one. In addition to all of the points that she mentioned, I think that it is also worth noting that these socks will only appeal to a certain subset of the student body. I know that at least for my friend group, we prefer to express our school spirit or support of something through our upper body apparel, not necessarily our socks. That being noted, in my opinion, the key to success for this project is finding the right subset of the SB to advertise it to. :)
DeleteDesign: I would definitely re-look at the design to include Lynbrook's name as well as more Lynbrook colors! People are going to buy this to showcase their LHS Spirit. Also curious to hear about the socks that Mrs. Butterworth came in with! Is there any chance you'd be able to push those sock designs in stead? (I would totally buy a pair!)
ReplyDeleteI think the placement of the design (if you choose to stick with it) would look better on a knee high sock. Something you also might want to look into is getting is getting it in all the different class colors. Personally, when I was an underclassmen I was really envious of the seniors since a lot of them had red knee high socks.
ReplyDeleteI'm apprehensive about the sock design but like the idea overall. Maybe have multiple options and let the school vote on the design?
ReplyDeleteIn addition, the price of around $8-10 may be a concern to many students... Personally I purchased a pair of long socks for the previous rally for only $5 so you may want to look into cheaper options.
I definitely agree that socks would be AWESOME.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I think design matters A LOT, and I do not believe that the student body would purchase socks if the current design was kept as-is.
The final product, in my opinion, definitely needs to have some combination if red/navy/white and "Lynbrook" or "LHS" in addition to any images. I personally think that white text/images on navy socks would look the best. Perhaps a sock style that's more in line with the ones I saw at Monta Vista? Photos of them can be found in the IDC folder > MV IDC Exchange > Media.
PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN! I really want a pair of dope Viking socks.
I think that the concept of Lynbrook socks is really nice, and I would DEFINITELY purchase more than one pair, but I think the design needs a little more color, such as red, white, and blue stripes. I also think replacing the current viking symbol with the stock Lynbrook Viking that is on the mural in front of the parking lot, would be a really good idea and allow us to keep all of our apparel consistent in a sense. I think its just kind of weird to have different viking pictures on most of our apparel. I think that this project should be revisited next year, due to the fact there isn't much time left to order and sell the socks, but I think it has potential to become and amazing project. :)
ReplyDeleteAs many have said before me, we would definitely need a new design if we were to get socks. Definitely an amazing idea though cuz people love long socks!!
ReplyDeleteThis could definitely be used as a fundraiser for a commission(spirit or any other) that usually goes through their money pretty quick and could use that extra money. Selling these socks before rallies will definitely bring some hype. And it could just be in the viking vault all year round, but from what I know not very many people go there!
As for the design, the one that Butterworth showed us seemed like a decent design. You could possibly require each commission to send in a design and then pick from there or poll the school with those designs. I know you guys said you wanted to increase school spirit while making a profit, but I think you guys need to pick which one is a bigger priority. I definitely think you guys should poll the school for price (giving them the quality specifics), because although I'd personally be down for $8-$10 socks, not sure if the rest of the school would be. If the poll shows that no one would buy the more expensive socks, then maybe profit shouldn't be the main focus and school spirit should be.
I think that we need a more vibrant and exciting design for the socks. I know that people will definitely buy socks if they were to be sold but I think it just has to be something that's more spirited and colorful.
ReplyDeleteLike Ahana mentioned, this might be a cool fundraising idea! Instead of it being an all year round thing, maybe you could sell it during the colder seasons like beginning of september to february or something.
Also, this may just be a personal opinion but $10 for a pair of crew socks is a little bit expensive so if there is any way you could find a cheaper option and sell it for cheaper, I think you would be able to garner more interest. If that's not possible, then you might want to consider promo-ing the socks as something that will "increase school spirit" rather than just "a fundraiser to make profit".
I think passing it onto spirit is a good idea! A suggestion to improve aesthetics is to make the background white and the design navy blue. I think the viking icon should be changed as well, because as of right now, it's not very obvious (like many others said).
ReplyDeleteAnother factor I think you guys should consider is the quality of the sock. I personally, when I buy apparel from other clubs/school apparel/class etc., wear the sweatshirts that are warm and thick and cotton-y, and not so much if they're thin or easily frayed quality. I also like to wear some t-shirts more often than others simply because they fit more comfortably and are softer to wear. I think if you choose socks that are really good quality, the apparel will be more successful!
I love the fresh idea and the goals of this project, but there are a couple things to consider before further pursuit:
ReplyDelete1. As many people have mentioned already, try to make the socks more Lynbrook spirited. This could be done by including Lynbrook colors, a clearer image of a Viking or even just the words LHS on them.
2. I think that this project definitely needs to conduct further polling on the interest. If you are to create a new poll, definitely include the estimated price of this item and the voted design to make people realize the true reality of what they're purchasing.
3. Lastly, I find it quite hard for projects like these to "multi-task". I like how you all have many goals in mind, but ultimately, it is easiest for you guys to focus on one overarching goal to push your vision strongly, rather than softly touching up on three different goals.
Good luck!!
I also agree that passing this onto spirit is a good idea. If not that, maybe you should hand this off to the student vault or whoever is in charge of selling the stuff there so that the money doesn't get handled by so many different groups of people.
ReplyDeleteAs for the design, I still stand by everything I've said about it. I think you should definitely focus on one goal 1) school apparel 2) school spirit (School apparel=more mellow school spirit=crazy/noticeable).
If you guys like the design that Mrs. Butterworth showed us last week, I think that's definitely something to look into because I had no idea that we already had vikings socks.
Good luck!:)
I really love the idea of socks but I don't think the design is very appealing. Personally, I feel like the design should be reconsidered to include more vibrant and appealing colors, something that really screams LHS spirit.
ReplyDeleteAlso, will the socks that Mrs. Butterworth brought in be used?
Personally, I think it will be easier to work with Viking Vault instead of starting your own line separate from Viking Vault. For example, you can provide the design to Viking Vault and let them do the rest. The goal is to create more school spirit, and I think you should not split from the original goal.
ReplyDeleteI second the same thing mentioned above that the design should be changed.
I agree with many of the previous comments which say that it is better to work with the Viking Vault. It'll run much more smoothly and will be easier to sell. In terms of the aesthetics, I think changing the design is a better idea to make it more appealing to the student body, and in general changing up the colors to make it look more vibrant. Maybe you guys could look into working with Wong/Butterworth to get those pre existing Lynbrook socks available for the rest of the student body?
ReplyDeleteAgreed with mainly everyone above! My main issue was the design and overall there being no interest, but if these problems are fixed next year then I think it can work! Definitely look into those socks that Mrs. Butterworth brought into class the other day-- they looked fantastic!
ReplyDeleteWill try to change the design, in the process of getting this figured out with the sock company. Thanks for the feedback guys!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you guys took initiative on this! I think in general, there needs to be much more effort put into our school apparel- it kind of ties into the fact that a lot of people at Lynbrook have class spirit, but not really school spirit. Pushing these socks can hopefully open the door for new designs for more apparel :D
ReplyDelete