Hi All!
Please leave feedback on last week's lunchtime activities! Depending on the feedback, we might pursue a "berserk week" next semester for finals as well :)
I realize that you probably weren't able to witness every single event, so as long as you leave feedback for at least TWO events that weren't your own, you'll get credit. (Please leave feedback for more if you're able though, as we should try to maximize how much we improve)
As a reminder:
Monday: Dry Ice Bubbles
Tuesday: Balloon Battle
Wednesday: Bottle Flip Competition
Thursday: Bring your own Mug
Friday: Battle of the Teachers
I think there could have been more in campus promo. Many people don't remember its happening unless they see it first thing at school. I think berserk week was a good way for people to have a little more fun during lunch. I think it was something new and fun that people really liked. Maybe there can be more events throughout the semester. Like the last friday of every month or something. Although, out of all the games, i think the balloon battle was the most successful because it had a competition element and there was more promotion throughout the actual day of the event.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with Alison, and the rest of the comments that the promo for the event needs to be better, and not only campus promo, but also starting promo a bit earlier online(but I know this time we weren't ready before the Saturday before to post stuff online, but if we are we should post earlier). I also agree that balloon popping and every other event would have been much more successful, but the promotion of this week was a little weak ;). I think it was a really good starting place, however, if we would like to do activities like this again sometime in the future.
DeleteBattle of the Teachers: Overall, really exciting but I definitely think it should've been longer. A lot of people felt like the competition was really short. I thought the competition had a pretty good turnout (lots of people watching), so definitely include more activities so it's a little longer and more competitive!
ReplyDeleteDry Ice Bubbles: I thought there should've been more dry ice stations; there was only one table in the middle of the quad and not a lot of people went to make the bubbles. I definitely think more stations would've increased the exposure of the event and allowed more people to participate.
also balloon battle was really fun
DeleteAlso my feedback for balloon battle is that there was an issue with balloons popping / deflating on their own. I'm not really sure how this would be solved but something to consider in the future!
DeleteI agree with Michael on the Dry Ice Bubbles. I expected there to be more than one station. If we choose to do this next year we should probably explain what the event is beforehand. A lot of the people hovering around the table in the quad were ASB kids; I don't think many students participated.
DeleteI personally really liked the Bottle Flipping Challenge. It's a nice way for ASB to take up trends and incorporate it into school events.
Overall though, I'm not sure the general student body quite understood the purpose of Berserk Week. In the past, it's been called something along the lines of Stress Release Week, so it's more clear as to why we're hosting the events.
It was a fun week!
ReplyDeleteI definitely thought that there could have been a lot more promotion for the week in general, I think that the groups should have been allowed to do their own online promotion as well.
I think my favorite event was probably the bottle flipping challenge, simply because of the amount of hype the event generated. It was literally on everyone's Snapchat story. I thought that the MC-ing could have been a little more hype though?? Hecka props to a well organized tournaments, though.
Slightly off topic, but "Berzerk" week sounds a little strange?? I know it's supposed to give off an air of stress relief, but it's still a little weird. I don't know, maybe it's just me HAHA
I agree with everyone here, the promotion could've been a lot better.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the balloon battle, I think this game went really well, I think there could've been some MCing. Agreeing with Michael, there was a big problem with the balloons deflating themselves, and I also saw a guy with a fork, which shouldn't have been allowed. One more thing, I think borders should've been established, but not like they are out if they step outside, but this way other students wouldn't get injured. Overall a great event.
My second favorite was the Battle of the teachers, it was really fun to watch and a good choice of teachers. However, what I heard from the teachers was that they didn't like the whipped cream part. This is understandable since they had a class to teach. Other than this, I thought it was really fun!
I also agree with the comments above. To summarize, we could have done promo much better because people were unaware of what was happening and there wasn't enough hype created so that people would want to go to the quad during lunch. Also, instead of randomly picking which activity goes on what day, next time there should be a more structured way because for example, dry ice bubbles sound really cool, but unfortunately they weren't able to get much participation (no offense to that group!) so the week didn't start of very strong. Some good things were that once there was a crowd, people started watching what was happening and they all looked like they were interested to watch especially in the balloon battle where the whole crowd got into it. I also agree with David about how "berserk week" kinda sounds weird so maybe we could keep a more catchy name next time!
ReplyDeleteI agree about the lack of campus promotion as well. We had a lot of time to prepare this, so maybe next time, we could have been given our own "PR" schedules, or days we could have our event publicized, or we could have brainstormed as a class to what different ways do we want to bring awareness of this week. As we have may mentioned before in class, Facebook is getting overused, and we have many other ideas we could go with! The balloon battle was so much fun, and it was a chance for people in different classes to be in teams together, working toward one common goal. I noticed that the balloons would often get deflated before anyone had a chance to pop them. As for the hot chocolate, I thought that this was a great idea, but it seemed kind of repetitive when recreation was doing their hot chocolate this week - maybe use different food items, or have another twist on it? Overall, this stress-relief week was a great idea, and certainly was a distraction for those hard core studiers!
ReplyDeleteI think the timing in general could have been better, as it was right before finals; I know the point of it was to destress the student body, but it was difficult to put on a well-thought out event with finals coming up. I think while thinking up the event idea, we should also keep the objective in mind; Personally for my group, I don't think we were thinking of stress relief.
ReplyDeleteAlso, this is a broad issue but for many of the events, the majority of the participants were in fact just ASB. Promotion needs work (the bottle flipping challenge, though, was pretty successful!)
Ditto'd on many of the things already mentioned (especially promotion).
ReplyDeleteI think one good thing that came out of this is that if we choose to do it again and make a culture out of it (fun, silly, ASB events the week before finals), we'll start to see more and more people come out (it becomes an expectation of the student body, eventually to a point where before it comes, they might speculate about the kind of activities they'll be seeing a week/two before).
That sort of culture is definitely hard to establish, but it's always going to start off with a bit of a shaky start! In terms of events specifically:
BYOM Day: I thought this was pretty simple and cute! I know some people I talked to were initially confused, because the cover photo didn't specify exactly what would happen after you brought your mug (they thought it was just to show off your cool/unique mugs haha).
Balloon Battle: Probably the most unique promotion of the entire week --> major props to this group! I'd say the competition based events in general seemed to bring in more hype / interest from the student body? If we do this again, it seems like things that people get to observe/engage in are ones to look out for in the future!
Overall, pretty happy with the whole week! Gave students something unique to know that our school does! I saw a girl comment "PUMPED FKN LOVE THIS SCHOOL" on one of our promo posts, so I guess that means we're doing pretty good :)
Dry Ice Bubbles: I feel like the idea for this event was really good, however, I don't think many people realized what was happening because 1) it only covered a small part of the quad 2) not enough promo
ReplyDeleteBalloon Battle: This was my favorite event because people got really competitive (in a good way) and it was overall really fun to watch. This was a really good way to include different groups of people who normally don't "hang out" together or do a sport. I definitely think that we should hold this event again!
Overall, I think that this berserk week was really successful because everyone was looking forward to the next day&had a lot of fun. I think we really need to work on our promo especially near the end of the week and the beginning because people leave school forgetting about our events. I think that the water bottle challenge promo was really good. <-- they had a separate promo the day before their event. I think that's something that we should consider for future events.
I definitely agree that the events could have used more promotion. Since they all took place in the quad, anyone who spent lunch outside of that area weren't really included. Like for the dry ice bubbles, the people who came had a lot of fun, but a lot of people didn't know what was going on and therefore didn't participate. I also think some of the events could have been clarified better to the school; a lot of people didn't bring mugs because they didn't realize that they would get hot chocolate for it (but I think it's just because this is our first time doing it. At MVHS, where they have "bring your own banana" every year, it's extremely successful because it's like a tradition). Overall, though, it looks like the people who participated really had a lot of fun and I think this would be a great week to continue next year!
ReplyDeleteDry Ice Bubbles: For next time, I think you could have more stations to improve visibility. The idea itself is really interesting so I think the main problem is visibility of this event in the quad.
ReplyDeleteBYOM: This idea is really cute! The only thing is that I know a lot of my friends didn't bring mugs because they didn't know they could get hot chocolate. I think it could have been promoted more that there would be a surprise and give them a super obvious hint?
Bottle Flip Challenge: I think that this was a great idea and people really enjoyed it. It was super competitive especially towards the end. The way the tournament was structured was also super cool and legit. LOL just a thing I noticed- there was only one girl who participated as opposed to the 30 guys. Idk why that was the case, but maybe do something to help promote it/ make it appealing to a wider audience and add another component besides just bottle flipping.
ReplyDeleteBattle of the teachers: I think it was the most fun event from the entire week. The problem was that it was too short. I think it only lasted 5 mins. So maybe get more teachers to participate and have more rounds/batches. I think you guys came up with super creative challenges and props to you. Cleaning the whipped cream from the center of the quad was an interesting experience, because the cream was on the floor and we had to literally wash it out with many buckets of water.
In general, this was a crazy week filled with fun activites and I would definitely agree on making it as an ASB tradition. Every week before finals should be a stress free week :)
I think Dry Ice Bubbles could've been explained more because a lot of people were confused about what you actually did/what it was about. As other people said, there could be more tables/stations so it would be more "visible" in the Quad and draw more interest/participation to it.
ReplyDeleteI liked the Bottle Flipping Challenge because a lot of people were really hyped up to go see it. I think it was smart to choose a competition w/ an idea that's trending right now (bottle flipping). It was hard for some people to see what was going on, though, because everyone was crowded around the people competing.
The Balloon Battle was interesting to watch and I liked that it was in a really open space so that everyone was watching and it was the center of attention during lunch. However, I think the rules should've been enforced more as someone else commented.
I agree with many of the comments above! Maybe if we are going to continue doing this next year we should think of not doing it during finals week? I know the point is to destress but during finals week, especially during lunches and brunches in between finals many people are trying to study/can't really destress, and therefore can't really enjoy the events we put on? Just an idea to maybe move it up one week, which can also help destress, without overwhelming the student body. Also, I agree with what Katherine in that it's harder to put on well planned/thought out events when during finals week.
ReplyDelete