Friday, April 14, 2017

Kindness Week feedback!

Hey BFFs!

Please give feedback about Kindness Week on the following topics:
  • Did people like the activities? How could they be improved? Any ideas for alternative activities?
        • Each day's activities
          • Monday: fortune cookies
          • Tuesday: free hug day
          • Wednesday: free hug day
          • Thursday: cuties
          • Friday spin the wheel+bracelets
        • Ongoing activities
          • question post-it wall
          • snapchat
          • whiteboard photos
          • club visitations (if you got to experience one!)
      • Your volunteer experience
        • Did Rec make it clear what you had to do? 
        • Could you do your duties easily and successfully?
      • Success of spreading the message/vision of Kindness Week
        • Feedback on our PR aspects
          • profile photos, flag banners, posters, etc
        • Did the activities we chose actually promote kindness around school?
        • Were they successful?
      • Any other comments!
      • ALSO if you have any photos of the week, please send them to Leia :))))

        Thank you to everyone who helped out with this event! We genuinely couldn't have done it without help from the whole class❤️❤️ Thanks for putting up with all of our last minute changes and decisions, too 😁


        20 comments:

        1. I think overall everything was a really good idea but i think that next time we should order more. A lot of people didn't get fortune cookies or cuties so they were really sad. I also think we should have done more on campus promotion. The free hug day was good but no one really asked me for hugs :( but at the same time i think it was the crown. Maybe next year we can do like signs that we hang off of our necks?

          ReplyDelete
        2. Hi Rec!
          Even though I wasn't able to experience Thursday and Friday's events for an FBLA event, Kindness week was p great to see being that I've never experienced it before. Some of The things I really enjoyed were the fortune cookies and just people being nicer in general.

          What I will say is that the PR aspect of this event could have been a bit stronger. For one, most of the people I know, and my friends had absolutely no idea that kindness week was happening and that there even were people handing out fortune cookie, until pretty late into Monday. Most Freshman don't use Facebook on a daily basis, and had but a clue about what was going on. Also the PR that was there, the profile picture messages had very little information provided on what hearts week entailed so people with no knowledge of what kindness week was had little to look forward to.

          Although there cold have been better PR, I definitely think that yes, this event really did spread kindness throughout this campus. Beyond just the fortune cookies and Free Hugs, Kindness Week spurred a conversation about how people can bring kindness to their everyday lives without expecting something in return. All in all, one of my favorite weeks this year <3

          Thanks!
          Akhil

          P.S. Sorry for causing so much trouble over the Facebook Group Chat lol

          ReplyDelete
        3. I think kindness week was a success but should definitely be scaled up! Like Alison said, it seemed like A LOT of people weren't able to get treats and my friends who did didn't really know why.

          Overall I really liked kindness week but there should just be more stuff! (more promotion, more treats, etc.)

          ReplyDelete
        4. Hi Rec.

          I think Kindness week was definitely a success. But I agree with Michael that the weeklong events and everyday event should definitely be bigger! I think promotion such as a giant banner at the top of the quad (like the Voting one during election season) with things happening on specific days is definitely a good idea to promote and get it out there.

          Also, for the kindness week volunteers, I think it is important for people to be seen, maybe order T-shirts that volunteers can wear that is bright colored (neon green, for example) so people will know what is happening.

          Next, I think other than the post-it board, a chalk board with bright neon colored chalk will actually attract more attention (like the Before you die board that was up our freshmen year). Or have chalk in the middle of the quad for people to write directly on the ground b/c 1) people don't really walk through the quad that much, so it won't get destroyed, although the weather should be accounted for 2) It is big enough to attract a lot of attention, and it is easy to clean up too afterwards.

          For promotion, I think we should definitely have more control of other profile pictures. For example, ask people to do kindness week profile picture since it is HAPPENING that week and let other promotion pictures for other events be put up after kindness week, etc.

          Also, for the kindness week photos w/ "Kindness is" whiteboards, I personally could not find them. I took them, and my guess is that you only posted in the fb chat for us to download. I think you should put it in the facebook group along with the chat so everyone can see. or even send out an email.

          Overall, good job!!

          ReplyDelete
        5. First of all great job on planning a successful kindness week! I completely agree with the comments above. Something that should be greatly focussed on in the future is promo. Although there was a facebook profile pic change, I felt like the on campus promo could have been stronger. Also, as Michael said, many people werent sure as to why they're getting fortune cookies or cuties so finding a way to better explain kindness week to the student body should also be one of the focusses!

          As for volunteering, I think you all communicated jobs really well and I didn't see a problem with that! Honestly, I didnt see people be more kind to each other but the fact that ASB is offering these acts of kindness, not only strengthens ASB's image, but it also meant a lot to many people and thats why it was successful!

          ReplyDelete
        6. Just wanted to say that I really liked how you approached kindness week from almost all angles—we utilized the snapchat, got other students involved as advocates, had an on-campus presence, all that and more!

          One thing that I think could improve Kindness Week for future years is to do a difficult social media challenge that ANY student can participate in, and then get everyone in ASB to do it. Similar to #30 days of gratitude? I think we've done a good job and effectively doing kind acts TO the student body but haven't fully enabled the student body to feel comfortable taking extra steps to show appreciation/kindness themselves. The challenge has to be deliberate/a little bit difficult because, well, it's a challenge, but I think that would be meaningful and add to the event.

          Also, maybe consider adding in elements of gratitude to kindness week? Eg writing thank you notes to teachers (maybe even middle school teachers like Mrs.Badger brought back from CADA). I think appreciation is something that resonates really well with students as well.

          As a volunteer, I think communication was comprehensive but could have been a little bit farther in advance! I didn't fully understand my role for snapchat until I got a chat the day-of. ALSO I want to come clean—I actually did not do any of the snapchat story on the days I signed up to do, so don't give me hours for any of those!

          Overall, great job! Really liked the multi-pronged approach, again.

          ReplyDelete
        7. I think kindness week was pretty successful! My favorite was definitely the in-person acts(passing out fortune cookies and cuties) because 1)people were genuinely very surprised and happy when they got something and 2)allowed volunteers kindness week to touch people personally and 3)promotes a good impression of asb! I agree with the suggestion of ordering more in the future.

          I also think the Snapchat stories were a really great idea! I'd recommend to have more students do it(since it's pretty easy), and to do it on their personal snapchats, because that way it would reach more people and be more personal. Just as a suggestion maybe next year there can be more interesting/diverse question of the days(something that students would enjoy watching answers of on snapchat stories).

          On a slightly different note, I would suggest for next year's rec commission to try to avoid clashing schedules with spoons finale. Just because the spoons finale is pretty much guaranteed to have a large audience, which does take away some of the effect of kindness week on-campus. I'm not sure if these dates are decided much earlier, but maybe check in with senior class officers just to make sure!

          ReplyDelete
        8. Oops forgot to include this above, but I think we should try to get more teacher involvement in kindness week! Maybe passing out candy or just even acknowledgement towards the fact that it's kindness week from the teachers would definitely increase the presence of kindness week on-campus. It'd also be really nice since as teachers they'd set a really good example by being kind in some way to their students which would encourage more kindness from students in my opinion!

          ReplyDelete
        9. I think that kindness week went really well! When I handed out the fortune cookies, I think people actually appreciated them because it was just a small surprise and actually felt like an act of kindness. The kindness week events were all very small and nothing major which I think helps to show that even something small can be an act of kindness and impact someone so that was good.

          As for promotion, I think that you could do a lot more campus promotion about kindness week in general. I know I saw one poster near the cafeteria but I feel like having more than just posters will help since not everyone pays attention to them.

          ReplyDelete
        10. I thought the ideas and activities were very creative as well as more personal, since we got to personally surprise people with small treats. People really appreciated the small kind gesture and it was nice to promote a positive image of ASB. I agree with some of the other comments that we could order more fortune cookies and make the free hug ambassadors more visible, so we can reach more of the student body.

          As for promotion, I think we should utilize PR on campus besides just having profile pictures online. I know while I was handing out fortune cookies, people were really surprised that it was Kindness Week, which goes to show that we really need to promote the event on a bigger scale.

          In addition, I think Will has a good point that we also need to focus on letting students practice acts of kindness themselves because this Kindness Week was focused on showing appreciation to the students. If we enable them to get more involved in the week it would increase participation and attract a lot more participation.

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. I meant "attract a lot more attention" sorry!

            Delete
        11. It generally went pretty well- the spinning wheel may not have been well publicized enough because there was a dearth of people- either that or people don't want to go out of their way to come to the top of the quad- not really sure what it had to do with kindness!

          I liked the question post it wall, but it could have been more well publicized and I feel like you can do more things with it afterwards other than just tear it down- maybe make it available to the student body?

          Snapchat was good- how many people do we have subscribed to the Lynbrook ASB snapchat?

          And maybe get more teacher involvement as well- I know it was targeted towards students but it is a cross campus activity so maybe include some of them as well.

          ReplyDelete
        12. Kindness week seemed to go really well, despite some of the scheduling conflicts. People seemed really touched by some of the small things that were going on throughout the week. Everything was very personal and the vibe that this week gave off was really positive. Overall I think it was a success and should definitely be repeated next year!

          ReplyDelete
        13. I loved the general campus vibe that all of you set up - the stringed-paper triangles all around campus crossed with things like handing out fortune cookies and getting it on snapchat; everything felt a little warmer!

          I'm also very impressed with Rec's ability to essentially enlist the help of the student body to be hug ambassadors - that was a really nice touch that I think added a lot more genuine-ness to the whole week (knowing that people weren't just hugging you because they were in ASB).

          Props to a successful week!

          ReplyDelete
        14. Kindness week was great! Good job Rec!
          I feel like the student body really appreciated the efforts that was put into this, even if they were a bit hesitant at first. I remember that when I was passing out cuties, people really loved the cute (haha) messeges that were written on them!
          Promotion for the different activities each day could have been improved, but promotion can always be improved lol. I know that a few last minute changes made things difficult. I think a lot of people didn't know about the bracelet socials at lunch, or the post-it wall. It wasn't really promoted that much. However, the spin-the-wheel garnered a lot of interest, since a small crowd formed, which was super cool.
          If we could find more ways to include the body and have them show kindness/appreciation to one another, that would be awesome (I think Mrs. Badger mentioned this). Maybe handing out kisses to give to friends, or a pay it forward sort of thing. It'd also be cool if we just hung posters/flyers that said nice things around campus, in addition to everything else.
          It was an awesome week, and I loved all the kindness being shown!

          ReplyDelete
        15. I think kindness week gives a platform for people to be kind without being creepy, because when I was handing out cuties and fortune cookies, people hesitated until I said it was for ASB or for kindness week! I think the fortune cookies ran out a bit fast. Also, the messages inside the fortune cookies could be more personal rather than relating to kindness week itself: ex: Do something nice for your mother this week! Instead of ex: kindness is ____ etc.

          ReplyDelete
        16. Kindness week was amazing. I really like how you opened up the hug ambassadors to the whole school. I agree with Kath on the fact that cuties and fortune cookies ran out really fast. I think the location o the post it wall could've been better, at a place where more students would notice it as well as write things on there. Other than this, amazing job!

          ReplyDelete
        17. I was only here for the first three days of kindness week (had to leave for FBLA), but everything I saw was really cool. It was well publicized (better than last year I feel), and people seemed to know that it was going on.

          It was a pretty big problem that the spoons finale coincided with this week for obvious reasons. We were actually planning on asking all of the spoons players to come into the middle of the quad at the end the finale and hug/shake hands in the spirit of kindness week, but our ceremony cut short by admin, so we weren't allowed to do that.

          ReplyDelete
        18. HI FRIENDS!!

          So for one, I really, really enjoyed this kindness week. I loved the profile pictures and the personalized profile pictures because people definitely knew the event was going on. The posters around campus were also ADORABLE, so props for those :)

          One thing I liked was the integration of our ASB Snapchat! The videos posted on there (interviews) were adorable, though it makes me kind of sad that they went away in 24 hours :( Maybe next year we can save and compile them, and then post on FB? I just don't think Snapchat is a big enough audience to TRULY appreciate the effort you guys put into those interviews!!

          I know everyone loved the cuties, and the spin-the-wheel was adorable! I think maybe we could have included some sort of kindness aspect to the wheel. Ex, maybe people have to perform a kind task before they can spin the wheel? Idk LOL.

          Anyways, great job overall! Super proud of you guys <3

          ReplyDelete
        19. I personally did not participate in kindness week, but I know that a lot of my friends participated in free hug day. And from their feedback to me, I would like to say that that is by far the most popular event in kindness week, and it should definitely be continued next year. Other than that, due to the fact that I did not participate myself, I have no other feedback, other the fact that, at least among my friends, it was pretty well received.

          ReplyDelete