Sunday, April 23, 2017

Spring Formal Feedback!

Hey ASB!


Social would love any feedback for the Spring Formal. To those who attended, we hope you had a great time! Let us know what you liked, didn't liked, and what would you would want to see in the future! 
Thanks to everyone who came and helped out!

Love,
Social

22 comments:

  1. Hey Social!!

    Thank you guys so much for the fantastic event! This was by far my favorite dance this year, and I would love to see this dance become an annual event that ASB hosts.

    That being said, I do think there are some minor things that I think we could look out to improve moving forward :)

    For one, I think that as far as food and options go, I wold have preferred if there was a bit more variety. I think the number of entrees was fine, however all of the dishes were starches of a sort. This made for a monotonous meal (although yes, the mushrooms were a clear highlight tonight). Next time it might be better to throw in a side fruit or dessert option outside of just the main course.

    For set-up most of the preparations went smoothly but the lights were a mess for some of it. As the lights were tangled up into a huge wad, we were left with around four volunteers having to spend over an hour untangling the lights. Despite this, we still weren't able to finish in time. This left us only being able to use one half-functional set of string lights at the dance which was far from ideal. Moving forward, perhaps we could test out the lights in advance from the event to 1. Make sure that the lights actually work and 2. Avoid wasting volunteer resource on vigorous untangling lol.

    Besides that I would like to congratulate and thank all of y'all at social for one of the best nights I've had in a while.

    - Akhil !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the decorations on the dance floor, it really elevated the entire dance.

    However, for food and drinks, many people came up to me and asked about why there wasn't any drinks. Also, I agree with akhil on the more variety of food.

    And this is just something i noticed but the DJ didn't have bass :o but it's not necessilary a bad thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think in terms of food, next time something that needs to be thought about is "if this sits there for two hours, will it still stay good?" and i think for some of the foods, this was not the case.

      Delete
  4. I can't speak for the actual dance as I was only there for set up, but I thought the decorations were really good. You definitely captured the right vibe with the decorations and it was the nicest school dance decorations that I'd seen. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social! Amazing job last night! I think the overall dance went really really well!

    I agree w/ Akhil that there should be more of a food variety and also some type of drink? Since it is a formal, I don't think people should be drinking from the water fountain.

    Also, for the lighting of the food, I really like that toward the end of the dance, there was the lights around the entrees, however, I think next time we can light up the food section a little bit so people can see what they are getting!

    Overall, amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey social,
    Some things in general:
    1) Drinks! please, even just selling chilled bottled water. I think drinks > food rather than food > drinks.
    2) This year, especially, it has seemed that a balloon arch has been used repeatedly for dance entrances and the proejct plan leaders alot time and numerous volunteers to make it during set-up. I would question the need for balloon arches (as eye catching as they are, they don't hang well on the gate) or look into creating actual arches with PVC and hula hoops.
    3) The decorations were super aesthetic but I'm not sure how it actually correlated with the Great Gatsby theme other than the colors of the balloon arch. Just something to keep in mind — I don't think anyone really cared but it's important to align with the theme of the dance!
    4) Lastly, the dance was super great. Although there were less people, everyone was obviously having a great time, there was no grade gap/everyone was mingling together, and I had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the atmosphere at the dance was great- it was a lot more "inclusive" or friendly of some sorts since there were less people and it was in a smaller space. The decs looked really nice and I could tell you guys put a lot of effort into them. For the food, I actually didn't get to try any of it because I kind of even forgot there was food (LOL). Next time, I like the idea of lighting up the food area and also providing drinks (in my opinion, people tend to get more thirsty rather than hungry) to attract people's attention. Also, I would suggest maybe getting the student body's input or ASB class's input on the theme in the future since I know a lot of people were confused about it (especially underclassmen who haven't read the book at school).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!!!

    I, like Evan, can't speak for the actual dance but the pictures from everyone's stories and instagram made the dance look super pretty and well decorated. My only comment is that the promotion for the dance died down after the break. I think there were a lot of opportunities for cute decorations around school to promote the dance that weren't taken advantage of. Also I think the dates for the ticket sales were really hard to keep track of since there were so many other events that were happening. Maybe if you posted a big banner on the top of the quad with a calendar of all the different dates and prices, it would be a good indicator to the student body when the ticket prices were changing and that they could still buy tickets if they wanted to attend the dance. Overall, I heard really great things about the dance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Social!

    1) Really enjoyed the cove as a venue—the gym ALWAYS feels empty (even when you have 200 people at a dance). The cove, despite being filled with what seemed like only 50 people at a time, was much more packed. The mirrors had an effect too on making the dance floor seem larger and more packed that it actually was. It was also decorated very nicely (I especially enjoyed the hanging drapes and the covering of different cluttered areas of the cove with black butcher paper). Let's keep the cove as a dance venue for all dances??? Better packed then empty. Also, I hope we kept all the drapes and lights! We can definitely reuse them for future dances.

    2) I agree with some of the above comments about mixing up the variety of the food and including non-starches—I also could not see the food at all when I arrived b/c of dim lighting so just didn't bother getting food until the end. Would also agree with the need for drinks. Maybe desserts as well? Students tend to eat dinner before coming to the dance, so I don't think it's as necessary that we provide "filling" foods.

    3) Feedback: I think promotion could have been much stronger! Though we did online promotion, it was drowned out by other promotion, and let's be honest, very few students really take time to read the text on our promotional pictures (or even see them??>Consider the fact that a majority of ASB are upperclassmen and thus their online posts aren't even seen by underclassmen). I liked the invitations a lot, but felt like there lacked on-campus promotion for the dance. In the future, I would suggest that for EVERY event we host as ASB, there needs to be a large banner out by the front of the school to remind all 1000 students that pass by it daily of the upcoming event. I would also think more about how social can encourage askings. I realize that you don't have to have a date to go to a dance, but if we can capitalize on askings, we can greatly increase our reach (because askings inherently increase awareness for the dance!) I know that Saratoga's junior class officer team ran a Facebook page for their prom on which everyone posted their askings and awarded the most creative, cutest, etc. askings with free tickets. This line of thinking is something that I think social should pursue in the future with all dances.

    Overall good job, it's only uphill from here! DJ was awesome by the way—keep him around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Social! First off I can't say too much about the event itself as I could not attend, but the pictures I saw were beautiful. However there were multiple things that I thought could have made the dance better overall.
    1) Promo: The promo that was done for this dance was cute, but I don't think it was very impactful on how many people attended the dance. Ex: The fashion show went by very fast and not that many people knew about it, and it kind of seemed unorganized, and you were only doing it to have a fashion show cause it looked cool. Something small you could have done as well is having someone designated ask or even fake ask in the middle of the quad to get people pumped to go. As well I think a video just gets people attention even if it's not the best
    2) Having a SPRING formal may not be the best idea just because of the amount of proms around it(even if you are trying to get underclassmen, some of them go to these formals). So maybe recreating winter formal, and having something else in spring.
    3) The theme was also cute, but if you are going to have a theme this in depth, everything needs to be very close to it, while having a more vague theme gives you more space to do what you want.
    4) The attire for the event essentially came out to be semi-formal, and I would have rather have you guys said that than cocktail attire, because real cocktail attire no one in high school has, and at least to me was confusing.

    Keep it up social!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Social. First off I want to say great job on conducting the first ever spring formal. I think one thing that could potentially be improved is the selling of tickets. It was a bit unclear on which days tickets were being sold, but more promotion for it would solve the problem. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's my general thoughts!

    - By the day of the event I was still a *little* confused on attire - I ended up just wearing a dress shirt and tie with jeans, but when I walked in I saw a lot of formal wear. Didn't really matter in the end, but just wanted to put it out there!

    - DRINKS AND FOOD. I made at least 5-6 trips to the water fountain (I dance hard) - a cold cup of water could have definitely cooled people down. In terms of food, they were all dry items, which only made me thirstier, and it was definitely difficult to see in the dimmed light. In the future I would definitely consider posting what's going to be at the dance beforehand!

    - ATMOSPHERE. You guys got this spot on! There was a nice little space between the cove and gym to chill out for talking, an area between the dance floor and that space for chilling between dancing, and then a nice-ly sized dance floor. I loved the drapes and general light decorations - it was all very cute :)

    - Some sort of coat check or area for valuables would have been nice! I saw quite a few coats / wallets on the ground near the walls

    - DJ (Jeff?) was sick! He played great songs and I don't think I've ever seen a DJ get down on the dance floor and start teaching moves - that was dope yo. S/O to Mr. Lee for joining us on the dance floor too!

    - Ditto on many of the words exchanged on promotion from above! I think this certainly could have had a stronger presence on campus, especially given that you're competing with attention of being between two proms. Maybe worth looking into the date of the formal for next year?

    I think the people who came out genuinely had a good time, which is a step in the right direction for next year of something like this is going to continue. I had an amazing time and was glad to experience such a cool night with my last dance with Lynbrook as the venue! :) Props to you social!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heard a lot of good feedback for the event so great job Social! This was by far one of the best events you've held!

    I liked the new enthusiasm for coming up with new decorations, and brainstorming the different places on campus to hold the event. The decorations at the cove turned out awesome, and most of the people from 2020 praised ASB's efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Was definitely my most memorable dance experience at Lynbrook! Part of the reason why a lot of us (in ASB) had a good time was because we had each other to make the night amazing, so I don't think we would be speaking for everyone.

    The decorations really set the right mood for the dance, and were absolutely gorgeous for those instagram posts and snapchat stories. Although, during setup I do remember lights unexpectedly not working so in the future, I think we should definitely test the lights some time in advance. There were also some decs that were beautiful, but just couldn't be seen because of the lighting, specifically the sign near the food.
    Agree with the rest of the comments above regarding the DJ, Drinks, and Promotion. Would like to add that those spring formal invitations were amazing... I'm keeping mine safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on Spring Formal, Social :)

    Out of the spring events I've attended in my last 4 years at Lynbrook, this one definitely has to be my favorite.

    Decorations are lit af!!! I honestly loved the new approach to the decorations and I'm sure that students who attended the event loved it as well. It's great to see something new beside the stuff we see at the usual dance. Way to go for making the atmosphere great!

    If there can be a light or two by the food bar, that would be wonderful because I found myself grabbing my phone for it's flashlight feature to see what the food selection is.

    Speaking of food, the food was pretty good, but there wasn't much diversity in terms of items available. I believe a lot of students were expecting more selections.

    I think the biggest part you guys missed out on was drinks. Some of the food were pretty salty and could really use a drink to compliment it. Even a simple and cheap idea such as two liter soda's with food coloring in a pitcher would've been great.

    Other aspects such as the DJ, invitation and promotional all worked out pretty good.

    Despite the low attendance, I really did have a great time! Perhaps other events such as winter formal can learn a thing or two from this event.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SPRING FORMAL WAS SO FUN!!! The cove was a really, really great location for the amount of people and gave us a ton of new opportunities for fun decorations. I agree with a lot of other people that we probably should've gotten drinks, and maybe put a few lights around the food. It would have been nice to have a mix of food-food and dessert foods as well! I also really like the idea that Will mentioned from Saratoga to encourage askings, and I agree that y'all needed more on-campus promotion. It was really hard getting people's attention with spoons and sprom bids though :/// The DJ was very fun and engaging!!!!! Definitely keep him omfg 10/10 both SF and jprom were lit with him :))) Overall great job!!! I think the people who came def had a lot of fun and hopefully this will encourage more people to come to Social events!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was there for set up, and couldn't attend the dance itself, but I can offer my perspective on organization before the event.

    First off, the decorations were amazing. You guys did a fantastic job transforming the drab campus into something whimsical and ethereal. I thought it matched the theme of dance really nicely.

    However, I feel like there wasn't a lot of structure and order to volunteers who were setting up the dance. No duties were delegated beforehand, which is fine, but volunteers ended up either looking for something to do, or having too much on their hands. This is only a minor issue though, as most of set up was productive.

    Based on the other comments, I'd say you guys did a great job on this dance :)

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVED THE DECORATIONS! I think definitely advertising to upperclassmen as well would be better next year even though it was more targeted towards underclassmen. Overall, I think the aesthetics of this dance were really amazing, especially the invites and the design of the promo, as well as the black sign at the dance!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pros:
    1) DECORATIONS were super cute!! I think having it in the cove was a great idea :) The draping was very elegant and the lights made em even better!
    2) I liked that we HAD food, but more on the food itself later...
    3) Prices were reasonable imo!

    Cons:
    1) Promotion- I think promo for this event could have been a lot stronger. I know social was overwhelmed with actually planning the event, which is completely reasonable, but I think promotion just got completely overshadowed and ended up being really underwhelming. On campus promotion was lacking :(
    2) Food- As I said earlier, I'm glad we had it, but at the end of the day I'm not sure if it was worth the money and hassle. It probably would've been a better idea to just have cookies and brownies and such
    3) Drinks- we should've had them!!!! They would've sold super fast I bet HAHAH

    Overall, I think this event went really well for it being the first one ever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The dance itself was really good! I went whoever made the decision to hold the dance in the cove instead of the gym is a genius, because the spacing was just right in the cove. Food was great (albeit there was too much). Promotion could have definitely been better planned because the spacing between the promotion and the actual plan itself was a little too large for promotion's sake. Otherwise, great dance! Good job social commission

    ReplyDelete
  21. Honestly, despite some of the criticisms listed on here, this was by far the best school dance I have ever seen. Props to y'all for actually making a dance that I enjoyed going to!!

    My only minor bit of advice is that setup was a little disorganized. Usually, for setup with these kind of big events, it is very important to come in with a detailed plan and distribution of labor. That way, things will go as smoothly as possible, and there will be no last-minute surprises. But other than that, good job guys. Seriously, it was lit.

    ReplyDelete