HELLO FRIENDZ!
REC would love to hear what you have to say about the coffeehouse talent show we hosted this past Friday. We had a great time and hope you did too <3 Please give us some feedback/comments so that we can improve next time.
Let us know about what you thought of the types of performances, the duration and content, the decoration, volunteering, location or anything else that might be important :)
<3
Overall I really loved the vibes at the show and how everyone seemed really comfortable and friendly. I thought the location was good (don't know how it compares to last year) and liked the general mood of the event. I definitely feel like the people who came enjoyed the event!
ReplyDeleteSome things I noticed:
1) A few people came with friends without knowing about guest forms, so people were denied entry. Maybe it's best we put the guest forms on everything? (lhs website, asb website, facebook, schoolloop blast)
2) Issue with volunteers. Some volunteers left to go watch, didn't come back.
3) Sink in the back of the library was left on. I walked back there and just saw it overfilling a bucket and completely wasting water. I don't know who left it on or how long it was left on.
It's the first time i have ever been to chts and i really loved it! i loved how supportive everyone was with each other during the performance and after. i think it would be a good idea to have all the performers (both early signup and walk in) talk to whoever is running the sound that day because there were a few things wrong with the mics and people not singing close enough or holding them correctly.
ReplyDeleteI didn't attend the event due to another conflict, but based on the Instagram posts, it looked really aesthetically pleasing. If we could use this kind of promotion in the future I think that people would definitely be inclined to come! I also thought it was a good idea that you got a breakdown of attendance from each grade.
ReplyDeleteYESSS I loved chts so much this year. I really liked how you guys stepped it out this year with the promo and the decorations (it was very artsy). I also liked how you guys included a variety of performances. I also really liked the overall vibe-everyone was extremely encouraging. If possible, I think it would be great if you guys extend this event because I know that there were some people who wanted to perform as a walk on.
ReplyDeleteLOVED IT.
ReplyDeletePros:
- Atmosphere was awesome! From the lights, to the seating layout, to everyone's expectations and feel for the event; Y'all hit it on the nail
- Performances were very diverse and entertaining! CHUBBY BUNNY WAS 10/10. Didn't see the tawkwando performance coming, but it turned out pretty interesting LOL.
- Library was a good choice of setting (auditorium would have felt too formal, gym too casual)
- Free popcorn and hot chocolate was a plus!
Things to look out for in the future:
- Lots of spills and accidents :\ Not sure whether they were resolved in the end, but perhaps only allowing water next time around?
- All of the singers were awesome, but it felt like a little too much towards the end (perhaps because there were a lot of repeat singers)
- I would start setup even earlier! Especially with the lighting - light setup can take a long time and sometimes go horribly wrong (if you'd like to hear a story about how Harsh and I almost ruined JProm, hmu)
- Hopefully you filmed / took pictures of this event! I would definitely consider making a promo video next year for the kind of unique acts you're looking for.
Awesome job overall! Had a great night :)
Great job, Rec!
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I underestimated how enjoyable the event will be. I loved the comfy vibe; the small room with a creative seat lay out and lights around the perimeter contributed even more to that sensation.
Performances were really good as well and I didn't expect that much crowd support and their snapping.
Just like what previous posts said, there were lots of spills and I think we need to either have something to catch the spills or restrict it to just water.
The free food was also a nice addition! However, we should invest in a new (the device that warms up the water, idk what's the name) as it keeps making weird noises.
One thing I heard from many of my friends is that they weren't able to perform any sort of dance. (This is probably due to the small area we had, but we should consider allowing people to performance dance pieces, but in that case, a bigger stage (and possible change of location) is needed.
The duration of the show was alright, but could be a bit longer next time to compensate for the surprisingly large amount of walk in performances.
Overall, I loved the event and I believe many attendees also had a great time. Props to Rec!
I LOVED CHTS! It was super aesthetic looking, great vibe, and amazing preformances. I loved how it wasn't just a talent show, but more like a coffeehouse where people could have fun. I agree with Juney on extending time, and I think we could ask others to lend us bean bags? That would make it super comfy. Maybe have a crew to setup all the mics and tables and chairs during the preformance. Also, I recommend a rehearsal so everyone knows when they are going.
ReplyDeleteSorry for the late comment, but wanted to add on some thoughts for future CHTS planners to consider!
ReplyDelete1) What sort of tone is recognition going for? Last year erred on the serious side and the performances people shared were more personal/emotional/moving. This year seemed to err on the casual, perform-whatever-you-want with no judgement side. This should be clarified beforehand to the student body each year, so that expectations are clear! I heard of a few seniors who had attended the event last year and really enjoyed the more serious vibe who were taken aback/a little uncomfortable with the more casual vibe.
2) This sort of ties into the above, but I think that the tone of the event is super important! I think it worked out well this time, but if the event were more serious
in the future I think that the MC should read out a longer explanation about the purpose of CHTS talent show/the safe space. I noticed that often people in the audience were on their phones—is this something that we can try to address in the future? It made me very uncomfortable.
3) It'd be good to mention "on deck" in addition to the "next" performance!
4) Just a question: was a schedule of performances released beforehand?
5) Better communication with Tech please! There were a lot of avoidable mistakes and we only learned that you needed Tech's speaker system the day of.
6) The front stage area, after several performances, ended up getting a little bit messy (wires tangled). Maybe there should be designated stage hands?
Overall, I had a good time at this event and I think others did as well! I will be honest and say that I was taken aback by the new tone of the event, but I think I've come to the conclusion that neither CHTS is "better," they're both just very different from each other.
I really enjoyed the performances and general 'vibes' of the coffeehouse talent show. I haven't been to any prior ones, but I thought it was good that it was casual because it helped make the atmosphere more fun and inviting. The aesthetics were great and it was decorated very nicely with nice lighting. I think next time we should have some regulations about eating food inside the library as someone else mentioned above, since it got messy and hard to clean. Also, I noticed some issues with the performers needing the speakers/mics and seeming generally unprepared with the tech aspects of their performances. Something we could implement is to have a tech section of the form where performers sign-up so they can request the tech materials they need for their performance.
ReplyDeleteTo address some of the earlier comments, I personally don't think that the time of chts should be extended because we want to avoid a long drawn out event where people get bored or uncomfortable with constant random/walk-ons. Keeping a time-limit, while limits the number of performers, keeps the quality and atmosphere of the event in a much better place.
ReplyDeleteI really really really liked the seating layout this year! I would encourage next year's commission to get more comfy chairs/beanbags/pillows. The black plastic chairs looked a little out of place for the overall feel and also seemed quite uncomfortable.
Just an idea! (Not sure if you guys had it this year), but maybe next year have a time cut-off for walk-on performances (for ex. all walk-on performances need to sign up by 8:30pm) so that you guys can know earlier about the general layout and make it easier to be more organized with everything in general.
I do agree with Will that the tone of the event should be decided/known by the commission beforehand, since that can really change the target audience and acts.
Overall, awsum possum job! :)
This is from the perspective from someone who watched the talent show last year as well! The vibe was definitely really different - it was more "hype" if you know what I mean. The people who came were mostly "popular" people who already go to most ASB events, whereas last year was much more "niche" (as Will described it).
ReplyDeleteThe decs are amazing. Damn.
Just wondering, did you guys ever screen performances? There was this incident right before the talent show where Adhiv and I had to get administration to kick out a performer before he was... saying some really interesting things about shooting up the school. Yeah.
Was everything filmed? There were some amazing performances there :O
Overall, great job rec :)