Thursday, February 2, 2017

Spring Event Feedback!

Hey ASB!!

Social would love any comments/feedback that you guys have on our Spring Event or anything we presented in class!

Thanks!!

13 comments:

  1. hey SOSHYAL (like diya says it)
    I would like to say that a spring formal for this year would be the best way to move forward, especially because we haven't had a winter formal for the past two years. I see this as a great substitute and a necessary one. I have heard a lot of complaints about underclassmen not having formal dances, but I think this should solve the issue. However, you guys should not restrict this to only underclassmen. I feel that juniors and seniors who don't go to prom might see this as a cheaper alternative/ fun formal dance to attend. So, definitely promote it to the underclassmen, but make it available to the entire school. Also, I am just wondering, why do we never do any dances in the field house? Is it just because it is too big, or is there another reason?

    <3 anushka

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there would definitely be a lot of backlash towards the fact that we all asked for feedback for a Sadies prom and people liked the idea of it if we ended up hosting a spring formal. Isn't there any way we could compromise with the gender binary issue? For example, when promoting, we could say that it's a dance to flip the conventional, to promote askings other than guys asking (which would generalize and open up the idea of Sadies to include other genders as well). I don't think it would be that hard to come up with a solution that would satisfy everybody?

    Also, could we host both? As in, if there's no loss for both events, then we could take this opportunity to liven up the second half of the year with two events put on by ASB social? (idk how much work is involved though so that's up to you guys)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Katherine. I like how you guys are listening to those who have issues with the whole gender situation. However, I feel like it is going against our goals and vision of serving the school/giving them what they want (since many people asked for sadies).
      I also understand that due to these issues w gender, this event may not be possible... so like Katherine noted, is there a possible compromise?

      Delete
  3. I agree with what everyone has said about the event being a spring formal, seeing as Lynbrook doesn't have a winter formal, but I also feel like this event should be open to all grades. I also have been wondering why we don't have it in the field house, but then again it makes sense to have it in the gym since we could also use the cove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Social!!!
    I like the idea of creating a new event that hasn't been implemented in the last 5 years, but I do believe that there may be strong feelings towards the cancellation of Sadies, especially because the majority of the student body voted yes. However, that being said, a dance must be planned to prevent rising issues, so I support the decision of having a Spring Formal. Although the upperclassmen have prom during that time, I think that it would be to our best interest to make the dance available to all grades. Plus, many people tend to not go to prom due to the high costs, so this would be a good substitution for those who don't end up going to prom. Whether it's sadies or spring formal, I believe that with the right explanation, the student body will continue to be interested in a new type of dance. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that a dance would be a good idea. It seems like all of our dances were concentrated at the beginning of the year, and has been replaced by more movie nights. I think it might be nice to host some kind of spring formal! I'm not sure if it should be targeted at only underclassmen but I think that it'd be a refreshing change to the kind of events social has hosted in the last couple of months (more laid-back and casual, less opportunities for dressing up).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Katherine Li's comment about maybe hosting/trying out both events for this year if it's possible. My main concern is that we asked everyone for feedback, and more than a majority of them wanted Sadies to happen. Deciding not to have the event may make people feel like there was no point in giving us that feedback if we were just going to ignore it and go ahead with our own ideas anyway.
    Besides that, if we can't have Sadies, I definitely support the idea of a Spring Formal targeted toward underclassmen since the upperclassmen have Prom and I know the freshmen really want to have a more formal event too. I still think it should be open to upperclassmen in order to include everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I wanted a Sadie's but am perfectly okay with a different semi-formal/formal dance. The rest of the student body might be okay with this as well.
    I think having a Spring Formal would be nice. One of the issues is that the school might be upset because they wanted a Sadie's but got a different dance instead. Maybe we should ask them if they would prefer a Sadie's or a formal?
    If you guys do end up having a Spring Formal, I think that aiming the dance at underclassmen is a good idea. However, I don't think we should make it exclusive. We should definitely make an effort to promote to the freshmen/sophmores, but we shouldn't ignore the upperclassmen either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a strong personal opinion about whether Sadies or Spring Formal is a better event. However, I would just like to say that if social does not choose to pursue Sadies, I would recommend you all to be very, very careful and thorough about how you announce the decision to the student body.

    If not handled properly, I fear that students would perceive this as ASB ignoring their opinion/feedback. I could see this coming off to others as ASB prescribing our own "treatment" to address students' concerns when they've already clearly indicated that they want a completely different solution...which runs completely antithesis to the goals of the Student Input campaign.

    Before deciding between a Sadies dance and a Spring Formal, I would recommend exploring first how we could possibly address the concerns voiced about gender norms/conventions before moving on to the idea of a Spring Formal. In my opinion, we should try first to run a Sadies, and if that proves to be not possible, then we offer the Spring Formal as an alternative (rather than starting off by immediately replacing Sadies with a Spring Formal).

    There are a few select students who feel strongly about having a Sadies dance—please tread lightly? Given, I also realize there are students who feel strongly about having a winter formal as well.

    Those are my two cents—thanks for opening this discussion up to the class! Please keep us in the know as to what you all decide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i totally agree with y'all's views on sadies !!
    however i think if you guys want to host a spring formal, it probably shouldn't just be targeted toward underclassmen– i'm not sure how a lot of upperclassmen would feel. maybe some kind of happy medium, like a homecoming dance pt 2 semi formal thing would be fun? or make it a cute theme :)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Social, I agree with what people have been saying about the underclassmen situation. You guys should open up the event to all classes because it'll cause less problems. Also, you guys should definitely put out a form asking if a spring formal would be okay rather than a sadies, because a lot of people did want the sadies dance to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think having a spring formal is a very good idea. I feel like many people voted for "Sadies" because that was the only option given (Dance-wise). Because there many people just wanted a formal, and the dance that was on the student input form first was the "sadies" option. Therefore, more people would be inclined to vote for that rather than creating a new option of a Spring formal. I think the idea of having a sadies will only decrease the amount of male students because it is seen as "emasculating" to go to a sadies without a date, soley because sadies is targeted towards girls. And based off of the responses that you got for the form sent out recently, there is already a girl dominating popular vote for a spring formal.

    I think having it hosted at Lynbrook is also super cute and will save a lot of money. i think another reason why a spring formal at Lynbrook will receive a lot more attendance because underclassmen don't have the transportation to go to another venue, and many underclassmen want to go with dates and this is easier for them to secretly have a date (not that asb should encourage this LOL). I know for JPROM, many people don't want their parents to drive them to the venue so they are getting uber's so they can go to jprom with a date. Personally, i think a spring formal will have a better turnout than Sadies will because Sadies is more for schools with already high attendance of dances.

    Also, i think there should be more activities to do during the formal since many people leave dances after 1-2 hours. I also think having it targeted towards the underclassmen is a super good idea, because based off the things i have heard from my link crew kids, the classes coming in love to party and dress up. For example, looking at some of the responses from the input campaign, the most favorite "asb event" was blue pearl.... which isn't an asb event... But i think we should incorporate some of the things that really raise their success in their dances. They have a "bar" where they make "fancy cocktails" with italian soda and they serve dessert. I think if we were to decrease ticket prices and sell a lot of food at the dances, not only will it increase things you can do at the dance, but increase the amount of people that go to dances.

    Another thing is, since this is a formal that is being held in our school, maybe we could make the prices lower. We can low-key base this off of monta vista homecoming?? and fundraise a bunch before the dance. Also, maybe group discounts can be considered to boost "groups" at the dance, instead of just couples.

    And! I have some ideas for cheap decorations :) I will chat someone from social when the theme appears and things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think especially since you are trying out something new by having a spring formal instead of a casual dance, there are a lot of potential new ideas that could be brought to the dance that is something that is never tried before.

      Delete