Hey guys!
Club Hunger Games is a planned event for the beginning of the second semester. As I talked about in class, the event is planned for around 3-5 days consisting of a different competitive event every day. The participants of this event is aimed more towards club members than club officers. This is really basic idea as of now, so please let me know what you think should happen regarding this event.
Thanks,
Pranav/Clubs
Personally I voted No in class that day because I felt the idea is not properly developed yet. However, that is a subject to change if you come back with a more developed plan. :D
ReplyDelete1) If you do a different event each day, how do you make sure that each club is represented (there are around 70 clubs on campus, even if not all clubs participated, how do you make sure every club that wants to do it gets it)? I feel like doing one event for several days is a good idea, b/c it also increases the hype when there are elimination, semi-final, and final rounds. However, that also conflicts with increasing participation from all clubs, so you'll need to think of a way to compromise.
2) I like the idea that you are opening up opportunities for clubs to develop their "teamliness," however, in order for clubs to choose their participants, how do you prevent it from being biased (ex. clubs officers not opening up opportunity for all)? Make sure when your purpose is to increase student participation, you are not allowing clubs to exclude people.
3) I feel like club is a really hard part to fight for, for example, what if you are in one or more clubs, doesn't that create conflict? Imagine a club officer of a club became a participant for another club and went against the club he/she is the club officer in?
I know my wording might be a bit confusing, feel free to ask me to elaborate on anything
Overall, great idea! Good luck with developing! Can't wait to see the final product!
I feel like reaching club officers would be more appropriate for this kind of activity! When I first imagined it, I thought it could replicate the kind of crowd hype and quad gathering that Spoons last year was able to garner. I think that would be a good way to gauge student wellness/interest and increase participation overall while still engaging clubs with incentives! Some incentives could be choosing or arranging the Club Food Day location assignments or being able to choose their food first. I'm not sure how the process works right now, but I think that would be very appropriate.
ReplyDeleteI like the direction that clubs is currently thinking - creating more interaction between clubs and clubs commission.
ReplyDeleteMy feedback after the presentation last week was simply that I was left a little bit confused as to what the execution of the idea would look like. Perhaps clubs could discuss further and come up with a few proposals (week-long competition? month-long?once a week?) and a few ideas for what the "prizes" would be and come back to the class with that information?
Like the innovative thinking!
I think we could set a limit to how many club officers can participate in the competition, but not just say zero officers can participate or else they might go represent another team that they aren't even an officer of (which creates conflict like Rita said). Also, I was kind of confused in general about what exactly this event is going to be like because we weren't given many details, and we can provide more feedback if you tell us what types of games and competitions these are and maybe list some specific examples.
ReplyDeleteQuestions: Are there any incentives for clubs winning? Is it a different round of competitors each day, or will there be a "final" round for all the winning clubs at the end of the week?
I like the overall idea as it promotes clubs around campus and is something new &fresh (at least to me) for the student body/clubs. However, there are a few points worth mentioning:
ReplyDelete-I personally think that this would be better if this was aimed at both club officer and club members. If this was aimed just at club members, there may not be much participants as not every club member is committed to just one club and probably will face a hard time deciding what club to battle for.
-Rita brings awareness to the problem of representing every club that wants to participate. Will all those clubs be able to participate? How many clubs gets to go each day? A limit on the number of clubs participating should be set. I think a viable way to allow more clubs to participate while keep the number of teams low is to allow clubs to team up with each other.
-What will the structure of the event be? Will it be an elimination based system?
-Going back to what Anna said, what is the incentive for clubs to participate? What kind of prize will be offered? I agree with Sally on her idea of what the prize should be, that of which could possibly be letting the winning club choose their location/food first for club food day.
Overall, the event sounds nice on paper, but execution will be hard if the logistics aren't planned out well. I think the class should vote again once the logistics are planned because many students were confused with how the event will be executed.
I totally agree that representing all the clubs on campus will be very difficult with different competitive events every day. I understand that we want a variety of events that ask for different skills, but I just don't see 70 teams being able to participate in an event all at once. An idea for future years may be to split the clubs into two like club food day: one week in first semester and one in second semester. The only issue with that being that 35 teams is still quite a bit to handle.
ReplyDeleteIf the spoons format that I think you guys are envisioning doesn't really work out, another option is having a competition for clubs that involves them doing things during their club meetings. Instead of having all the clubs come out and physically compete with each other, club meetings might be an easier way to get involvement from all clubs (idk..just an idea).
It sounds like a great idea, I think we just need a more concrete plan.
I like the fresh development of a new idea, but there are a couple questions to consider:
ReplyDelete1. How are you going to choose which clubs are eligible to participate?
2. How are you going to maximize the amount of reps from each team to ensure a smooth outcome and good feedback from clubs?
Make sure you have all the logistics hardened and polished before moving onto the execution. Good luck clubs!!!
I think that this could be a great event, but there are a couple of complications that I see with it. First off, there are way to many clubs, and if we want to do things like dodge ball where not to many people can participate it will make smaller clubs not want to participate because the bigger clubs would over power them. Secondly, there are not that many games that I can think of right off my head that many people can do, so this means that one you will have to find those games and two if they are weird games you will have to remember to teach it to all the clubs playing which may be very hard. However, if you guys can figure all of this out I think it will be an amazing event. I believe if you guys!!
ReplyDeleteI think this new idea is nice because it creates a lot more hype and interaction with the clubs, but unfortunately I do not think this idea can be realistically executed.
ReplyDeleteThere are a lot of clubs on campus, and allowing every club to play and having multiple games can be very time consuming and would definitely require multiple lunches.
Personally, I found the presentation of the idea as very ambiguous and confusing. However, it's definitely something new and interesting, so further development of how it would work would definitely be helpful.
I like this idea, however I think there are many problems that clubs will have to face when planning this. However, if you guys find ways to work around the problems then I think this will definitely be a very good event!
ReplyDeleteI agree with many others with the problem of including every club on campus. I definitely think that it is quite impossible to include every single club, so maybe a "first come first serve" system for choosing the clubs who participate could work?
I think the prize should be very enticing to the clubs, to generate lots of participation. Maybe they could compete for ideal spots to sell at Club Food Day?
I agree with Will in that I am slightly confused about the execution of this idea, and I would definitely like to hear a more developed plan. I think this idea has a lot of potential!
As others have said, this is definitely a idea with a lot of potential. However, here are some suggestions/things to ask yourself/things to keep in mind:
ReplyDelete- Involving other members other than club officers may work well for big clubs such as deca, but what about for smaller clubs, were most of the members are officers themselves? This is more of a technicality issue than anything else, but I think that the best way to word it would be that it is recommended that it is not club officer, so that they would have the ability to be involved if necessary.
- What will the games be? In order to entice people to watch this event, they would have to be pretty good.
- Is the main purpose of this event to entertain people or to help the clubs? Because I feel like the direction of this project would change drastically depending on which one you choose.
- As others have mentioned before me, the prize will have to be legitimately good for clubs to join. It should be something that clubs could actually use (ie better club food day seats, first priority food choice for club food day, etc).
- I agreed with others that mentioned the problem of all clubs on campus participating. I like tiffany's idea to have a first come-first serve system, for that is a fair way to ensure that all clubs have a chance to participate.
These are just some of the things to keep in mind that come to my mind. If you guys can successfully address all of those, then this project will turn out extremely well. Looking forward to seeing more of this! :)
As others have said, this is definitely a idea with a lot of potential. However, here are some suggestions/things to ask yourself/things to keep in mind:
ReplyDelete- Involving other members other than club officers may work well for big clubs such as deca, but what about for smaller clubs, were most of the members are officers themselves? This is more of a technicality issue than anything else, but I think that the best way to word it would be that it is recommended that it is not club officer, so that they would have the ability to be involved if necessary.
- What will the games be? In order to entice people to watch this event, they would have to be pretty good.
- Is the main purpose of this event to entertain people or to help the clubs? Because I feel like the direction of this project would change drastically depending on which one you choose.
- As others have mentioned before me, the prize will have to be legitimately good for clubs to join. It should be something that clubs could actually use (ie better club food day seats, first priority food choice for club food day, etc).
- I agreed with others that mentioned the problem of all clubs on campus participating. I like tiffany's idea to have a first come-first serve system, for that is a fair way to ensure that all clubs have a chance to participate.
These are just some of the things to keep in mind that come to my mind. If you guys can successfully address all of those, then this project will turn out extremely well. Looking forward to seeing more of this! :)
I think this idea definitely has potential for sure. Clarify a couple things and you should be good to go.
ReplyDelete1. Club officers or club members? How will you select who participates? Will this be on a day to day basis?
2. What kind of motivation will you offer the clubs to participate in this?
3. Remember which facilities you would want to use, and think about how that factors into the planning of the event.
Good luck! You'll do great.
I like the spirit of it, but I think besides just athletic games you should include other challenges like (as nerdy as it sounds) a brain speed competition or something of the like.
ReplyDeleteACTUALLY WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE to have each club host their own event??? and then all participating clubs will have to contribute members/officers/people in general to compete in the other clubs' events. EX: webdev has a typing speed contest event, JSA has a current events trivia event, speech and debate has an impromptu speaking competition, and all the clubs participating will contribute their own teams to compete.
I think this is:
1. more relateable to clubs in general and
2. less work for ASB and
3. publicity for clubs on campus.
I think this idea is a super fun idea, I also think we should include like Alethia, Epic, and valhalla.
ReplyDeleteAlso, for the actual activity I think it might be a little hard to find people who are passionate about their club (who arent club officers) to participate in the activities. And also, I think people might be concerned about how it might be too similar to spoons? (I know thats like the intended purpose...) but like is there another way we can change it up so that its more different from spoons?
I agree with the majority that this is a great idea and that it would turn out to be something really fun, if planned well. I think at this stage, there is a lot of confusion as to what the specific details are, but I understand that since you haven't started planning yet because you just wanted to see if this is an idea worth pursuing. I strongly believe that you should take on this project because this will not only help you grow as a leader, but it will also be an interesting and fun event for our student body.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with tiffany that there should be a "first come first serve" system, because it is unrealistic to have every single club participate in the games. So, maybe just do monday and tuesday lunch with 10 clubs per day.
I really like how this could turn out to be a fun spoons like activity which is open to underclassmen as well.
I agree with Michael in that I like the idea, but don't think it can be realistically executed within a couple of lunchtimes. There are too many clubs on campus for everyone to really participate. Tiffany's "first come first serve" idea makes more sense, but would exclude many clubs. I think many of us need to hear a concrete idea for the competition itself before deciding if this idea is worth pursuing.
ReplyDeleteI feel like if developed properly, this could be a good idea. However, I have a few questions:
ReplyDelete1) I don't really understand how this is supposed to help clubs. If anyone who is part of a club can participate, I feel like it wouldn't really seem like an event specifically for clubs since pretty much everyone is part of at least one club.
2) I also don't understand how clubs are exactly supposed to benefit from this event/what's the purpose of this event. Is it for club promo? Or just for people to have fun.
3) there are so many clubs on campus. How are you going to include all clubs with only 3-5 days?
4) I also think that maybe having it for club officers rather than club members would be a better idea since they generally are able to represent their club better.
I hope everything works out... Good luck! :)
Hey, so my thoughts on this are first that this could turn out to be a really cool idea. It would be an awesome time to get club members to participate and it actually reminds me a lot of last year's senior assassin. what I think you should do is maybe have the first day be a trivia day, where the officers make questions and the selected participants answer questions. Each club will only be allowed to give 5 questions, and in the end, the club with the most amount of questions right gets the win for that day. Next day you could do a dodgeball game and have a commentator in the back. I think if you just expand on the games a bit more, this could definitely be a solid event!
ReplyDeleteThats sounds like great Idea Daanish! Thanks for the feedback.
DeleteComments from here on out, for this post, will not be graded.
ReplyDelete