Spirit would really appreciate your feedback on our Halloween events (even if its the same as what already got said in class)
The events were Costume Trick or Treat at brunch and the pie eating contest at lunch.
Get yourself a little closer to 8 responses by leaving a comment!
I think the trick or treat walkaround during brunch was really awesome. Some teachers had asked me what the candy and orange slips were for (during the classes that were after brunch) so i think there could have been an email clarifying that the candy was going to be passed during third and what they were going to be used for.
ReplyDeleteThe pie eating contest was really fun! And i agree with Rita, there should be maybe like an sports announcer but for the pie eating contest. I think next time, we (tech) can hook up the super long mic cord so you can use that at the quad table.
I think Halloween this year was executed really well! I agree with Alison that the orange slips were a little confusing, and should be clarified next time. I loved how Ahana mixed the candy evenly and made sure each bag had a variety!
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, I don't think there should be a sport announcer during the pie eating contest. There are a few factors to consider, such as knowing people's names and being a good sport announcer. However, this is definitely an idea that can be considered for the future.
I really liked all of the activities for Halloween, and it made the Monday a lot more exciting :) The candy trick-or-treating went really well, I saw plenty of people participating and it was fun to go around to each classroom. Passing out candy during 3rd period went pretty smoothly.
ReplyDeleteThe pie-eating contest was really amusing to watch, but it was kind of hard to watch with the crowd but there isn't really any other alternative (asb should invest in those huge screens at football games!? HAHA). The pie cutting seemed pretty efficient. With the comments above, I'm not exactly sure how effective the announcing was (seemed kind of quiet/far away from the actual pie eating contest) but I think it's neccessary.
Great job spirit, definitely had a successful halloween this year :)
I liked the Halloween trick or treating brunch time activity. As a recurring event, I think it normally tends to flow pretty well, and it definitely brings out the creativeness in people, and advocates dressing up for Halloween. I thought you guys did a good job for dispersing and mixing the candy, and I thought it was well executed.
ReplyDeleteThe pie eating contest also seemed to be a success, and I did see a lot of people participating. My concerns were that firstly, It might have been easier if you guys put a caution tape around the table. This not only makes the contest flow easier, but also draws attention from passerby. Also, i personally thought the music could've been changed. It was good to have halloween songs and a light hearted mood, but I think a big reason people get pumped up for the event, is because the song is loud and exciting and gets people in the mood of the event. Maybe next time, try play some different music or changing it up to create a more exciting atmosphere (Music also brings a lot of people to the quad).
Overall, great job spirit!
I like how you guys tried out a new location in the middle of the quad this year, but, like Daanish, I also thought the open space tended to cause crowding. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, as everyone still had a good time.
DeleteAnother issue is that some kids would just lick the pie and wait for the round to end so they can take the pie. Perhaps you guys can find a method to discourage that. However, that's technically not your responsibility and is pretty unavoidable.
I really liked how you guys had activities during both brunch and lunch.
ReplyDeleteI think that the trick or treating activity was really successful. However, I agree with everyone about how the purpose of orange slips should have been clarified beforehand.
I wasn't there for the pie eating contest because I was sorting through vikepound stuff in the den. I stepped out for a bit and noticed that it was a bit slow/not too hype in the beginning. Going off of what Daanish said, I think some "hype" music would've helped. Maybe next time you guys should try promoting this event differently since I think there was a ton of other fb promo going on at this time. I think that having this contest in the middle of the quad was def a good change though :)
Overall, great job on a successful Halloween :)
I already mentioned this during the outro, but here it is again:
ReplyDelete1) Maybe move the event to the top of the quad so it is closer to the speaker. It will definitely increase publicity if you announce or commentate during the actual activity.
2) For the candy distribution: It was really efficient, and I really like the way you organized the candies.
3) Just personally, I didn't really notice any promotion in general. It is probably just me not going on facebook very often, but I really didn't notice any promotion.
4) A lot of people dressed up! So there was definitely a hype for candy.
5) A good change was that other than just trick or treat, you implemented a lunch time activity!
Overall, amazing job! Good job Spirit!
The two events seemed really successful! Great job!
ReplyDeleteFor the trick-or-treating event that took place during brunch, I thought that it was a good idea considering people might have not trick-or-treated because it was a school night, or too much homework. It definitely fit under the Student Wellness pillar in our vision, and was a fun outlet. For the orange slips, I know during class before handing them out, you guys had mentioned for us to tell the teachers to explain what the orange slips were, but maybe not everyone heard it.
The pie eating contest was fun, but at first a lot of the ASB students were asked about the rules and what to do, and some of us were not sure - maybe next time in promotion and with ASB, you could over what goes on (I don't know personally, but just a suggestion). By the end of lunch, there was a good crowd = good participation!
The trick of treating activity was really nice; it gave people a chance to showcase their costumes and have a good time. However some teachers said they never got an email to sign up to pass out candy (they probably just missed it), so perhaps you should send out a second email reminder closer to the date to avoid any mishaps! Overall great organization (especially with the candy bags) and a really fun event :)))))
ReplyDeleteI didn't have the opportunity to check out the trick or treating happening around campus on Monday, but I appreciate the class involvement in getting the candy passed out. That was a good way to gauge participation from the class. I think that the crowd interest for the pie eating contest was somewhat minimal. Maybe there are new strategies in the future that you guys can try to encourage a quad crowd or general crowd hype? I'm sure that all the participants appreciated the pie and opportunity, but I think it's also important to think about increasing participation. Maybe that is an indicator that many students don't necessary appeal to these kinds of activities? I imagine that you can gain inspiration from events like Spoons last year! Regardless, awesome job ^_^ and thanks for the remaining slices of pie!
ReplyDeleteI really liked the trick-o-treating activity during monday brunch! It was definitely an incentive for the student body to dress up. Like the others mentioned, the orange slips were a bit confusing and the teachers weren't really sure what to do with them. As for publicity, I think you could have a few maps around campus that shows which classrooms are giving out candy, rather than just the one on fb. But otherwise, good job spirit!!
ReplyDeleteI thought the trick-or-treating activity was great because it motivated people to dress up and was a nice incentive for those who were more spirited and decided to do that. I agree with everyone that maybe we could approve communication with the teachers and explain to them ahead of time how exactly the process would work. For the pie-eating activity, we could've posted more information about the rules and made sure that people didn't just walk away with the pie without actually participating. I also like Robyn's idea to post maps around campus that show which classes are passing out candy.
ReplyDeleteThe event went pretty well overall. Promotion started early enough and I liked how different commissions continued the promotion throughout the week, but I feel that the commissioners should be told about this a bit earlier as there was some confusion (I ended up promoting earlier because the post regarding promotion schedule came out after I changed my profile picture.) The trick-o-treating activity went pretty well and many students enjoyed it. Like what Robyn said, a map (either handed out or held up on the bulletin) should be available for students aside from the soft copy on the Facebook group. The pie eating contest was also a sucess, no pie was left over. However, there wasn't enough hype. Perhaps there can be a live narrator/commentator on the mic? Once again, the event pretty well and smooth.
ReplyDeleteMuch of what I would say has already been said by others about things like people wanting to dress up and how well the pie eating contest went. However, there was one thing that I didn't notice was that we didn't tell the teachers and staff what we were doing(at lunch for the pie eating), and although I didn't hear anything about this, it looked like they all came dressed as the same thing and I would have been cool if we had like a small parade along with the pie eating so people could all see the teachers and maybe some students who dressed up. No one would have to win anything it would just be a show case so we could include staff a bit more with ASB. Otherwise Great Job guys!!
ReplyDeleteThe fact that teachers were running out of candy was awesome :)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely agreed sentiment on what's already been said before:
- Orange slips could have been explained better (or honestly, not sure if even given out the message would have been taken super seriously?)
- A parade or something to showcase costumes would have been pretty fun for an activity: even stronger incentive to get the student body to wear outfits!
Overall, solid job Spirit :)
I agree with a lot of what was said above:
ReplyDelete-orange slips: many teachers weren't even passing them out so maybe they should be explained better next time? Also, I agree with Adhiv in that I'm not sure students will actually read them and take them seriously since they really just want candy!
-Maybe next time have more volunteers and more tables having pie eating contests at the same time? I think that would generate more hype and attention, since just one table in the middle of the quad was a little bit lonely-looking. That way, more people will have a chance to participate as well.
-I'm not sure how possible this idea is, but I think it would be such a cool idea if the school could be decorated for Halloween in future years. Nothing too big, but just something around campus to make it more festive!
I agree with what Saif mentioned above, and I would like to build off of that idea: it would be cool if there was a halloween parade or a costume contest or something like that along with the pie-eating contest. I know that some of my friends thought that there would be something like that.
ReplyDeleteAlso another thing: it could have been just me, but I noticed a decrease of overall halloween participation from last year? This is not something that you guys can control, but it is something that I noticed. However, I have no data to back up this claim, so don't take my word for it. But from the execution standpoint, everything went pretty well. :)
I agree with what everyone mentioned above- the orange slips were confusing for a lot of the staff. Perhaps next time, clarify what to do with them so they know. Everything else went smoothly though.
ReplyDeleteSome staff had their doors closed even when they had candy. Perhaps if there was a way to distinguish which teachers had candy with them??
The pie eating contest was pretty good, other than the people cheating the system. Find a way to prevent that and you are good to go.
I think for the pie-eating contest, what may have been an even better idea was hosting a pie-eating-championship instead. Having people come out to compete in the middle of the quad, and taking the first 15 to finish, an then having those people eat in the next round, and taking the first 5 pie-eaters, and then the 1, 2, and 3rd place winners (something like that). This would incentivize people to ACTUALLY compete because the farther they get, the more food they earn, rather than just getting their fair share's worth of pie, and in the slim chance that they win, getting a bag of candy.
ReplyDeleteAnother good idea simply for the organization of the contest perhaps may have been giving out clear rules at the beginning: ex: lift your head when you have finished all the pie so we can see when you've finished chewing!
Comments from here on out, for this post, will not be graded.
ReplyDelete