Hey guys!
Let us know:
What you thought of this season's senior games+spirit squad
What didn't work/What we shouldn't do
What we should do in the future (new ideas or old ideas)
Thanks!!
-Athletics + Katherine
What we did for this season's sports teams:
-top of the quad announcement
-poster at the top of the quad (w seniors names)
-spirit squad form sent out through schoolloop blast + facebook group
-"spirit squad" within our class (point system)
-200 senior game pamphlets passed out the morning of each senior game
-facebook event for sports teams that wanted one made for them
-gatorade and granola bars for varsity teams
Spirit Squad was definitely well promoted this year, compared to last year. Good job Athletics and Katherine! I personally think that the pamphlets idea worked out really well, because when I came in my first period, I heard people discussing about the senior games and everyone was trying to look at the pamphlet. I would definitely recommend that you guys continue this, and even increase the number from 200 next season. School loop blasts + fb group always work, and the volunteer hour points was a great incentive for leadership students. PLS continue doing that lol ;)
ReplyDeleteI think the brunch announcements were a good idea, but many people didn't know what was going on. They only heard random things come out of the mic. I think all of the other senior shoutouts were a super good idea!
ReplyDeleteSpirit Squad definitely had a larger impact this year compared to last year so great job! The pamphlets were a great idea and I heard great feedback from the athletes as well as the student body! As Alison said, the brunch announcements were a little hard to understand at some times but other than that, good job Athletics and Spirit!
ReplyDeleteI think that Athletics could have definitely collaborated with PR in order to advertise for this better and also help around with the posters and pamphlets. Despite that, good job with promotion. Unless there is a valid reasoning for it (ex. budget), I think it would be much appreciated to hand out food to not only the varsity teams but also JV/Froshsoph.
ReplyDeleteI agree that promotion could have been done a little more effectively by working with PR or the ASB class. However, Spirit Squad has come a long way since prior years. You guys are doing great! I liked your pamphlets and facebook events for teams who wanted them.
DeleteI noticed that Spirit/Athletics really pushed spirit squad this year with brand new/creative ideas - big props :)
ReplyDeleteSome questions I had!
Were pamphlets/brochures made for every single senior sports team? If not, how did Athletics/Spirit decide which teams to make them for?
Could you share with us the number of signups you got from the student body for spirit squad when you do your outro? Just curious!
Lastly, a question that might not only be tangentially related to spirit squad - who submits the announcements recapping wins? Eg girl's volleyball took home a win last night against Los Gatos, etc etc.
I've noticed that it's not consistent for all sports teams. Is the expectation that players submit announcements? Athletics? Coaches?
I thought this year's spirit squad was promoted much better than last year and had a much more significant impact on the senior games! One of my questions is about the pamphlets. Were there pamphlets for every senior game? Other than that, I thought the pamphlets were a great idea.
ReplyDeleteI wasn't too engaged throughout the senior games + spirit squad process, but I personally think it got the class involved / promoted in general much better than in previous years, so props to you guys :)
ReplyDeleteI really liked the pamphlets - I would suggest you increase from 200 next season! I never actually got one in my class, but I saw them sitting around in the den. Strongly suggest increasing the # that you send out the student body! If they don't go the games, at least they're exposed to it during school
Hey athletics, good job on your senior games/ spirit squad process this year. I personally thought it was well broadcasted, because last year I didn't really know about these senior games at all. I really liked the asking in the quad to help draw attention to water polo, I thought that was really creative. My suggestions would be to maybe have more promotion, for example have a sports week where people where their favorite athletes jerseys to promote a specific game. Great job overall!
ReplyDeleteParticipation in senior games has always been high, but it seemed a lot better this year. The efforts by you guys and the sports teams definitely had a part in that! I think the volunteer hours system was especially effective in ensuring more participation, and should be repeated next year. Great job and worth repeating for the senior games in the winter and spring.
ReplyDeleteI don't know about the past, but I thought that the pamphlets and posters really got the attention of students and promoted the senior games well. I agree with Sally that there could be more collaboration with PR to think of some more creative ideas, too. Also, I know a lot of people in my class were very confused about what exactly spirit squad was. I think there should be more information available to students about what they can do to participate, maybe ask link crew leaders to talk to their freshmen about it?
ReplyDeleteAs a senior this year, it was super heartwarming to see the added emphasis on these games- they mean a lot to the athletes when we see people in the stands, trust me. I wouldn't say that the spirit squads were very... spirited though? At least the games that I went to (especially volleyball and football), the atmosphere was pretty flat. Maybe preparing chants for next time?
ReplyDeleteCompared to last year spirit squad was better promoted, but compared to 2 years ago, spirit squad was not as good. I remember two years ago that a lot of people were hyped for spirit squad and many were excited to go that we had too many people at a game that we took up a lot of the bleachers.
ReplyDeleteFor senior games, the top of the quad drinks and posters were very nice to the seniors and I think they really appreciated it.
Great Job Athletics!