Hey everyone!
Thanks to everyone who came and helped out! Social would love any feedback for movie night. Let us know what you liked, didn't liked, and what would you would want to see in the future!
A few things that we have already addressed:
- a more reliable source to play the movie
- testing everything out beforehand to keep technical difficulties to a minimum
Thanks,
Social
I think another thing worth considering is having set-up start earlier, even thought that also addresses keeping technical difficulties to a minimum. I can recall that both our movie nights were running a little late and we were not prepared to start on time.
ReplyDeleteI think in addition to having a "reliable source" for the movie, there should always be multiple back up plans, just in case that source doesn't work out.
The popcorn sales were much better this time. Albeit, there were less people, but it was a good idea preparing popcorn earlier to prevent long lines. Also, selling the candy was a great addition and hopefully you guys made some profit.
Some things contributing to the lower attendance may have been the month and movie — Finding Dory's been out for awhile now and a lot of people have already seen it, despite the exciting promo and most of the student body being aware of the event. Also, January is typically busy for many students as everyone is jumping back into everything after break.
Other than that, I think the night was handled very well and although students were disappointed that they could not finish the movie, I didn't hear anything particularly bad towards ASB. The free candy was a good incentive. In the end, we have Friday the 13th to blame and a scratched CD, unfortunately. Good job Social <3 :)
I think that the gym atmosphere was nice! It was a good place to lie down and rest with friends.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Lilian that January is generally a very stressful month for students, which may have contributed to the reason why attendance was not the best it could have been. That and also that it was the start of MLK weekend, which meant people were gone for debate, MUN (I think), and Mock Trial.
I think that planning could have been done and prepared better as a commission. It was a little disappointing to find out that you were not able to organize an appropriate DVD device or laptop until the day of the event, which would have been extremely problematic had no one been able to provide one in time.
I don't mean the above to be discouraging-- I believe that you (as a commission) are capable of doing more and improving greatly within the next couple of months, so please take this opportunity to grow. I appreciate your flexibility and effort!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDANGFLABBIT I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED MY COMMENT so im just going to rewrite it
DeleteI did not attend movie night, but i think movie night is something that has a lot of potential. right now, movie night is a super underrated and low priority event but i think it could be something grander. many people who attend movie night are people who want to spend time with their friends (or secret SO) and i think that is something that you can play into the way you promote and run the event.
Aside from the difficulties faced, I felt like the quality of the second movie night in on par with the first one!
ReplyDeleteTechnical difficulties - could be Tech's fault for not putting enough time to test everything out or just the fault of Friday the 13th (Tech had problems even during the rally when everything was tested out) Tech should definitely show up to the event earlier to prevent difficulties like this to a low measure.
Back up plans - just like what Lilian said, there should be some sort of back up plan for everything. (I know most of the misfortunes from that night were unexpected, but you get the point) For example, like a second(or even one at least a day before) computer to play the DVD or a different source of that movie.
Location - it was definitely was a good choice. It's cold during the winter and the gym is a much better option compared to the quad (Fun fact; some students assumed that it was still held in the quad)
Timing - I believe movie night was moved a week earlier due to some other circumstance? I'm not entirely sure, but the timing of the event could've been better. Many students were out for the 3 day weekend for various clubs and activities. Also worth mentioning is how students just had a rally couple hours prior to movie night, possibly making them too tired to come.
Promotion - Out of every aspect on the list, I feel like the promotion for movie night was OUTSTANDING. Walking around campus, I had a sense that many students were aware of the event, but just like what I mentioned up in the timing section, many students were too tired/couldn't to come. Walking around with the visor and balloons were definitely creative and pretty effective!
Compensation - Having the students take a free item at the end was a great idea. They had to sit through and wait for Tech to problem solve the issue couple times and had the movie unexpectedly pause for 2 and more times.
Food - There were a lot of variety this time; including beverages to sell was a great idea (popcorn can be pretty salty sometimes)
Delegation - For volunteers who signed up received a email with their designated role. I liked how volunteers were told specifically what to do during the event. It's a small detail to notice, but there's a good number of times where I was confused what to do as there were no clarification emails/announcements made.
Attendance - Not sure if it's actually true, but from what I've seen, attendance was pretty much a all time low? Factors are probably a combination to the various aspects listed above.
Closing notes - The event should be planned out more extensively and earlier next time with back up plans. More time to set up and test equipment is necessary. Keep up the good creative promotion and I would really want to see another movie night in the near future to compensate for this one! (low key might not be possible, but it's worth a shot!)
I agree that tech should show up earlier to test the movie as well as having a back up plan prepared in case things go wrong. To be fair, though, this was the very first time major technical issues happened. In the future, you guys could have the movie prepared on Netflix in case the DVD doesn't work.
DeleteAttendance was pretty low, but this is in part because a) it's cold at night, and b) Finding Dory has lost its hype. I remember ASB social trying to play this movie at an earlier movie night, closer to its release date. If we're able to find a movie with more hype, or we play a classic movie that people are willing to come out to watch, attendance would have been a lot higher.
I didn't attend Movie Night, but I had two thoughts
ReplyDelete1) Props to some unique promo! I thought the balloons and visors were really cute :) The character-shaped posters were awesome as well! One thing I would recommend is to make those posters a bit grander / bigger to really catch student's eyes.
2) Huge huge huge props to addressing what happened at Movie Night publicly and quickly online. I saw the apology before I heard what happened (which shows that you guys took a lot of responsibility for what happened and were able to control the story, rather than me/other students hearing it from someone else first). The order in which the info gets out definitely matters, so you guys did an awesome job in dealing with the aftermath before it got out of hand :)
Not sure if this is worth looking into or not, but I would consider allowing students to "rent out" those beach chairs / bean bags / something to sit and relax in. Just a thought for potential source of revenue if pursued again!
I think that the movie choice could have been chosen by the entire student body rather than just the leadership class. Finding Dory has lost hype because many people have already watched it.
ReplyDeleteFor promotions, I really liked the balloon promotion. I think that you guys did the best you could to get the word out there so after that, it would be up to the students.
3) Next time, the movie could be set up a few hours before movie night. You could then play the entire movie before movie night starts to make sure there aren't any technical difficulties.
I want to give a major shout out to social because I thought movie night was very well promoted event thus there were some other factors that may have caused low attendance. First I think a lot of people were tired as this event was the same day as the rally. Also there were more than 200 people at robotics at the same time as this event. All together honestly I think it might have also been the fact that this was Friday the 13th. I honestly thought many coincidental bad things happened this day both for me and ASB. Just gonna put it out there that we probably should not have anything on Friday the 13th hereafter.
ReplyDeleteI agree with a lot of people on here about having backups and how well the popcorn was run this time. However I have one main feedback that should be fixed for the next movie night. Even though the balloons were a great idea for movie night, the rest of the promo we did kind of sucked. The posters we put up didn't really look like fish, and the seaweed that was on one of the walls just looked like we throw it there so we could fill up space. In the future, maybe having a section in your project plan where it says what exactly is on the posters, where your going to put them, and just a little more thought on what they are going to be. Also one big thing is negotiating eating in the gym much much earlier so people know that they can do that, because I think this was a main reason there was low attendance in the first place.
ReplyDeletei actually really liked the promo! the balloons, visors, and posters were all very cute but i think the posters definitely could have been much more eye-catching. the shape they were in were very cute but brighter colors and bolder text would have been more effective.
ReplyDeletein terms of movie night itself, i think the low attendance might have been due to the rainy weather; people generally don't want to go out in the cold, anyway. and i definitely agree that we need a backup of the movie– i think you can buy it on youtube? or pick something on netflix maybe! but great job handling the situation, y'all :) movie night definitely could have been more successful, but with what happened with the disc, i think it was overall a smooth event.