Thursday, January 5, 2017

Powderpuff Football Field

Hey guys!!
ASB athletics could use your valuable feedback on the proper and ideal length of the football field during the girls' football games.
Things that are worth mentioning in your comment:
1. Field Length (yards) i.e: start at 50 but play the rest of the game with the length of the entire field,
cut the field length to 60 yards and start at 20 yards, full field and start at 50 and each team has 6 downs
2. Field goals (yes or no)
3. Punting (yes or no)
4. Time limit (full game or halves)
5. Tie-breaker ideas
6. Consolation game?

Again, we really value your opinions, and we hope to plan out the best possible powderpuff event with you guys! If you have any questions, feel free to ask any of the athletics members.

Thanks,
ASB Athletics

9 comments:

  1. (I low key don't know too much about Football so I'm sorry in advance if I'm incorrect in any way)

    1. I think that shortening the field seems adequate for powderpuff. From what I've seen, teams would get really close to touchdown most of the time but have to stop and reset; teams aren't scoring frequently enough.

    2. Yes.

    3. Yes.

    4. Not sure if we'll have enough time to run full games, I often notice that the games start a little later into lunch and students often arrive late to their 6th period class.

    5. Shortened tie-breaking rounds?

    6. If this means to determine 3rd and 4th place, then yes. Unless we're only focusing on who wins 1st, then we won't need a consolation game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, I don't know too much about football, but I watched all the powderpuff games last year.

    1. I think we should definitely shorten the fields so that the game can move faster.

    2. yes

    3. yes

    5. I remember last year's tie-breakers were really intense and relied on the skill of only one person. It's probably still the easiest way to have a tie-breaker, though.

    6. I feel like people won't really want to watch a consolation game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Field Length (yards) i.e: start at 50 but play the rest of the game with the length of the entire field,
    cut the field length to 60 yards and start at 20 yards, full field and start at 50 and each team has 6 downs

    Sorry what does this mean ^ no clue what football is :(

    2. Field goals (yes or no)
    again i'm useless

    3. Punting (yes or no)
    I PROMISE I'LL HAVE MORE SUBSTANCE FOR THE OTHER Q'S

    4. Time limit (full game or halves)
    Not sure what this means but I think whatever allows the maximum playtime during lunch (accounting for the fact students take 10-15 minutes to get to the field)

    5. Tie-breaker ideas
    Kicking the ball through the goalpost thing last year seemed unfair since it was more based on luck/one player, but perhaps if we can make it easier to score goals during the game (whether that means shortening the field or something?), or ensuring that points are scored somehow.

    6. Consolation game?
    Yes!!!! Even though people may not watch, it gives the classes who've worked really hard prepping their girls the opportunity to play again (trust me it can be pretty dejecting to lose and know you're completely out of it, esp. for freshmen).

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Field Length (yards) i.e: start at 50 but play the rest of the game with the length of the entire field, cut the field length to 60 yards and start at 20 yards, full field and start at 50 and each team has 6 downs
    I think you should cut down the field 20 yards on each side of the field making it a total of 60 yards (like you said before), each team should have 6 downs, and restart at the 50 yard line after 6 downs instead of staying at where the original team ended (idk if that happened before or not). Cutting down the field from both ends equally makes the game go faster because there is less moving around. I remember in past games, there was a lot of running around involved after downs because we had to switch which end of the field to use.... (i think?) BASICALLY, there was a lot of moving around that could have been used for game time.
    OR have the field be 50 yards and have both teams only play the same side of the field so they are facing the end zone and can score field goals if field goals end up being allowed.

    2. Field goals (yes or no)
    no? if the field is cut down from both ends equally then field goals through the goal post would be a lot harder. Also, attempts for field goals dont happen that often and i feel like its very dangerous since when girls play we just blinding run to the ball and theres a high risk of getting kicked in the head. Also field goals are unfair for classes with really skilled kickers.
    If field goals were allowed, maybe have them allowed during the regular game but not the tiebreaker because its a shorter kick so easier to score during the tiebreaker.

    3. Punting (yes or no)
    no, if the field gets cut down, the field is too small for punts so it would be pointless

    4. Time limit (full game or halves)
    35 minutes, running clock, like the clock never stops

    5. Tie-breaker ideas
    have players start 20 yards away from the touch down, and each team gets 3 or 4 downs to get a touchdown. If they both score, then the team that took less downs/time to score wins, or the team that used less players. if no team gets any touchdowns, then the team that gained the most yards win.

    6. Consolation game?
    yeah!!! i dont usually remember when consolation games are, but if they were originally on thursday, i think it should be moved to wednesday so theres more hype the entire week

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Yes, I feel like it would make the game more exciting because it gives the teams a better chance at scoring a touchdown.

    2. Yes

    3. Yes

    4. 30-35 minutes of running clock

    5. Same thing as last year (field goal at the end)

    6. No, I don't think it would spark as much interest and have a lot of spectators.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I remember hearing concerns about field length affecting the game last year. Shortening the field would increase the number of touchdowns, making the games more interesting to watch.

    2. Yes

    3. Yes

    4. Yes. Like Michael said, 30-35 minutes of running clock would give adequate time for game preparation as well as time to play a full game at lunch.

    5. I liked last year's tiebreaker. It may rely on the skill of one person, but I personally found it pretty exciting.

    6. No, I feel like it would dampen the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I think the field length should remain consistent, so I think 100 yards the entire time is fine.
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Halves, I think 15 minute halves should be ok.
    5. The field goal match that was used last year was very fun to watch So i think we should use that again
    6. There should definitely be a consolation game, that takes place BEFORE the championship game so people still would be excited to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1.For the field length, I think it should be the 60 yard option so there are more touchdowns, and it doesn't go down to kickoffs again.
    2.Yes
    3.Yes
    4.The game should run for 30 minutes on a running time like Michael said, and if the teams end with a tie, then there will be about 10 minutes to conduct a tiebreaker.
    5.We should keep the field goal kicks we did last year
    6.If there is a consolation game then it goes on Thursday, because more people will come on Wednesday to see the championship compared to if it was on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I think the field should start from the 50 because then there is a higher chance of scoring a football.

    2. Yes

    3. Yes

    4. Students take around 10-15 minutes to reach to the field, and lunch is 40 mins, therefore, the game should be around 25-30 mins.

    5. I think the field goal idea was okay!

    6. Yes there should definitely be a consolation game because it another game just adds to the fun.

    ReplyDelete